[240] Interesting brake deal

Master cylinder went out on my '83 245 so I figured as long as I had to visit all four corners to bleed the brakes, I might as well replace the pads. I discover they were only half worn but one was squeaking, chattering, moaning, and generally annoying me. Pedal had some pulsing and things shook like the rotors were warped. Being the tightwad I am, I usually don't turn rotors... figure the grooves just add area to them and make for better cooling. I knocked the glaze off the rotors with some 80 grit, put new pucks in, bled them and went for a drive. Surprise, surprise! no more chatter, pulsing, "warped rotor" shaking. Apparently, 'warped rotors' really aren't warped at all. It's the shiny spots on the rotors causing all the shaking. Something to keep in mind, next time the shop charges you for turning the rotors because they're 'warped'. ymmv.

Reply to
clay

For all the grief pulsating brakes have caused, there is still a lot of controversy over the cause(s). Some point out that "warping" per se doesn't affect the brakes, that thickness variations are the concern. Others point to cementite

formation, and I think there is a good case for cementite being a trigger for progressive deterioration of the disc surface:
It could be that you broke a beginning cycle of disc surface trouble, maybe like the effect that causes cars to create washboard surfaces on dirt roads. Personally, I found I had much less trouble with pulsation after I started using a torque wrench on lug nuts. YMMV.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee