98SL2 brake troubles, dealing with the dealership service dept

I had my 98SL2 (~74K mi) in to the local Saturn dealership about a month ago for an oil change. They found several problems, some of which were covered under the extended warranty, and a couple that weren't. All told, I walked away having to shell out over 500$ for what was supposed to be an oil change*.

One thing that was covered was both rear brake wheel cylinders were leaking fluid. They supposedly fixed that. However, I had to take the car back two days later because the brakes weren't bled properly - the pedal had excessive travel and was mushy.

I'm taking it back in tomorrow because since they bled the brakes, the car shudders when I brake, especially at highway speeds (ie, getting off the freeway.) I can feel it most in the pedal, but also in the steering wheel. The shuddering is a rapid pulsing which seems to maintain frequency but drop intensity as I come to a stop. It isn't a violent shaking, but the brakes simply don't feel right at all.

Warped rotors and improperly installed calipers are two causes of this behavior, IIRC. Are there other possible causes? How would you approach the service manager when you take your car in (for the third time in a month)? I don't want to be a jerk or another irate customer, but I am aggravated that

a) I don't remember noticing or having this problem before the dealership worked on my car, which makes me wonder if it is something they did or didn't do correctly b) If the problem is something like warped rotors, wouldn't they have seen that while I was there last time? Do rotors just suddenly up and warp one day, or is it a gradual process?

Thoughts/comments/suggestions?

tia,

-rj

  • I usually don't take it to the dealership for just an oil change, but every once in a while I will just in case there are things which need to be taken care of, like this time.
Reply to
richard hornsby

I can comment to piece of your post... I've warped them in a single event. Anytime the wheels come off and I don't care who does it, I drive easily for the first 30-50 miles and then retorque the wheel nuts. Usually only the fronts have backed off, however this last visit both fronts and backs took retightening...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Turned out to be warped/worn rotors. They weren't covered under any kind of extended warranty, but apparently Saturn of Columbus warranties these brake pads for the life of the car, despite the fact that they're a wear item.

They showed me the rotors and the tech (saturn mechanic) mentioned something about "metal transferrance" between the rotors and the pads if the vehicle sits to long. He said he didn't know why it happened, but that it did. Can anyone shed some light on this? Just curious.

-rj

98SL2

J> I can comment to piece of your post... I've warped them in a single event.

Reply to
richard hornsby

This article touches on it:

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]