242 V8

I am planning to put a 350 chevy engine in a 242 volvo. the local independent volvo has the 242, so I don't know what year yet. is there a company that makes engine mounts to put a 350 chevy in a 200 series volvo?

Reply to
theflamemachine

I believe Converse Engineering makes them.

All 242's are virtually identical, all conversion parts should be the same regardless of the year, they only made them up until '85.

Reply to
James Sweet

There is a discussion forum dedicated to Volvo V8 conversions. Check there.

John Horner

I'm pretty sure that Converse only does Ford V8 conversions for the 240 series. Try

for Chevy V8 conversions.

Reply to
ReptileHealer

Search for customizers on the web and you'll find what you need And certainly a Chevy 350 V8 fits into to enginebay of the 242 In Sweden there are at least 4 in my region that made this conversion You could could look at

They had a series going on some years ago about this topic Good luck Regards Nightmare "theflamemachine" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Nightmare

I measured up what I needed, then got someone to make it for me.

It cost me a carton of beer. :-)

Reply to
athol

JTR

Here's the link

They do a conversion manual.

Reply to
Sully

Interesting page, though looking at the numbers it doesn't seem all that impressive. Fuel economy drops and the performance isn't much better than a stock 240 turbo.

Reply to
James Sweet

I don't think that most people would expect to get better fuel economy out of a Chevy 350 V8 than a Volvo 4 Cyl (although with the right set up you probably could). However, you can get FAR better performance from one. I've never seen a

500 hp Volvo red engine. But I sure have seen a 500 hp Chevy 350. Not to mention that Chevy parts are, in general, are much cheaper than Volvo (at least here in the US). So, maintenance costs would be lower.
Reply to
ReptileHealer

My main reason for doing the conversion was the parts issue as well as the boat anchor of an engine that my '79 264 had. I actually did the

5.0 Mustang conversion and it is my daily driver. It's reliable, fast and the mileage isn't that bad - about 17 mpg.

In my opinion, it beats the old engine I had. I shouldn't complain about that old engine too much - it gave me 240,000 miles before it gave out.

Sully

Reply to
Sully

I would agree that it's quite an improvement over the V6, that engine was for the most part a turd (but then again what V6 isn't?) The V8 is certainly more powerful than the N/A redblock but you have to do quite a few upgrades before it's enough more-so than the turbo redblock with a bit of increased boost. Seems like the big V8's usually get pretty tired by 100-140k miles too.

Reply to
James Sweet