340 1.7 anti freeze ?

Volvo 340 1.7 in the UK

Does anyone happen to know: A - The total volume of water in the cooling system. B - the percentage of antifreeze needed to fully protect the coolant from freezing up. The car is in the UK and I would guess it would need protecting to somewhere betwee -20C and -25C (to allow for wind chill factor). C - when draining coolant before replacing with antifreeze should one have the heater set to cold (car has no air con) so as not to drain water from the heater matrix and help reduce the possibility of getting an airlock in the pipes.

Thanks Andy

Reply to
andy coles

I would worry about it that much, stick in 1-2 litres, it should do the job. You don't need to protect to -25 in the UK (Not yet anyway). Wind chill only affects warm bodies and water will not freeze any more easily in windy conditions. Although it will cool faster to the temperature of the air once the engine is switched off.

I have left a car (to be scrapped) with no anti freeze in the water over one winter. It took a really sustained cold spell before it eventually froze over, it did wreak the engine.

You'd be better to drain the heater asmuch as possible, it will bleed itself eventually without much problem. Just keep topping it up with the engine running.

-- Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

Reply to
Tony Stanley

For some reason I'm not seeing the original post, so I'll reply to this one.

Don't know what the capacity is, but the can of antifreeze will probably tell you the proportion of antifreeze to water. I usually go for around 50/50 for UK weather - it's cheap enough and will last you for a couple of years. I don't think wind chill is a factor.

I would never leave a car for long without antifreeze in, even during the summer. Thing is, the name 'antifreeze' is only half the story - it also provides corrosion inhibition and lubricates the water pump.

In my experience, it doesn't take much sub zero weather to freeze the water pump solid, which will make the car unstartable, even if you are lucky enough for further damage not to have occurred.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

Thanks Tony - 2 Litres it is.

Andy