740 GL Tick Over Problems

Can anyone help?

I've got a 1989 "G" reg 740 GL estate, having problems with it's idling / tick over. It seems very "lumpy, flat spots, erratic" etc . I'm not brill on engines, so any help would be great. Things that I know or have done are: B200E engine, 2 litre petrol. The car's done 131000 miles (genuine), I change the oil and filter every

6000 miles. Put new plugs and leads on. Had a new dizzy cap and rotor arm. Fuel filter (under car) changed recently. Emissions are ok. Gaskets from inlet manifold ok. New exhaust. Rev counter shows car idling at approx 800rpm (not jumping up or down).

You can rev the car up and still "feel" this flat spot. Condition does improve when engine is at normal operating temp, but is still there.

Love this car, bodywork is great, and just feel that there's a lot of life in it yet.

Sorry for going on, just want to try and get it sorted.

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard

Try thoroughly cleaning the inlet tract (from Air filter to Manifold) and also clean the Idle Air Control module. This should normally be done every two years.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes