306 XSI Engine Cutting Out / Over Revving

Hi

I have a 97 phase 2 XSI which has been causing me some grief with the tick over.

Completely randomly the revs when idling will go back and forth from

800rpm to 1600rpm and unless I blip the throttle will cut out. The engine doesnt stall but literally cuts out like the ignition is being turned off. It will also doing when dropping down from 3rd - 2nd when slowing up at junctions etc. On other occasions the car over revs and idles at 2000rpm and when you go to accelerate from standing like this there is a complete lack of power.

The car has been on a diagnostic machine which has found no problems with the ecu, the ecu has also been reset, lamda sensor has been replaced and stepper motor cleaned out and replaced. The car has also had new plugs, oil and filter but still this problem persists albeit intermittently.

I have run out of ideas now and hope someone can help!

Thanks

Ricky

Reply to
sureshot2109

Sounds like either a split vacuum hose somewhere, or a duff MAP sensor.

Split vac hose will let extra air into the engine, and a duff MAP sensor will make the engine think there's too much / not enough air in there.

Reply to
Nom

coil pack? quite common

Reply to
SimonDS

I have exactly the same problem on my 306 2.0 8V XSi P Reg. I have replaced/had checked exactly the same parts as yours. Peugeot dealers haven't a fecking clue. I have got used to letting it warm up for about 3-4 mins wait 30 seconds then switch it back on, it doesn't seem to stall this way. Bloody annoying tho'!

Any help people?

Reply to
johnny

Yes, my 405 2.0 8v GTX N Reg with exactly the same engine, did exactly the same thing.

One of the vacuum hoses coming from the manifold was split.

As per my other post :

"Sounds like either a split vacuum hose somewhere, or a duff MAP sensor.

Split vac hose will let extra air into the engine, and a duff MAP sensor will make the engine think there's too much / not enough air in there."

Hope that helps !

Reply to
Nom

Reply to
johnny

If it only does it when cold, then it's almost certainly a temp sensor. If the engine management thinks then engine is warm, when it's actually cold, then it won't be richening the mixture raising the idle like it should.

If it were me, I might be looking to take it to a different garage :)

Reply to
Nom

Hi,

I've got exactly the same problem with my 306 1.4 S Reg. Main Peugeot dealer wants £57.70+VAT for a MAP sensor (and wants £98.43+VAT for an O2 sensor -

seems a lot cheaper for those though).

Anyone know of a source of cheaper Pug MAP sensors ?

Cheers, Tim.

Reply to
Tim Jenkins

Have you tried the usual suspects ?