Radical decision?

My neighbor recently bought a 1990 LX 5.0. I was waxing my '96 in the driveway when he came home and said: "Why don't you buy my Mustang?" LOL! True, I do gaze upon it on a daily basis, with lust in my eyes, but hadn't thought seriously about owning it.

This guy never drives it and only bought it because his two sons bought a Camaro and a '98 GT and he didn't want to be left out. He bought a ground effects kit for the car off ebay and got screwed, receiving only taillights from the seller. The experience left a bad taste in his mouth, which explains why he has put less than 100 miles on the car since he bought it. It has either 81,000 or 181,000 on the odo, not sure now. If it's the latter, isn't that a few too many miles to leap into as a primary car?

It's red, totally stock I believe (will find out later) and he says it runs great. He's asking $3300. It's a 5sp. I'm going for a test drive today hopefully.

I've been wanting one of these cars for a long time. If I sell my car, I'm hoping to get at least $7500. With the left over cash, I'll be making a few upgrades to the Fox; subframes, exhaust, gears, and wheels (them ten holes is UGLY!).

Of course I'll have it checked out by my usual trusted mechanic, sir Hans, but if the mileage is 181,000...is it worth my time? That seems a lot of miles to me, though not for its year, I suppose. Oh, and the interior is nearly flawless, btw. No rips or tears and very clean. Sort of indicative of a low mileage car, right???? :-D

Also, if somebody could take a look at my '96 and tell me what you think I should ask for it. KBB says $6500 in CA. It has 82,000 miles on it. All mods are listed in the link:

Yes, I know it's just a '96, but it's real purty and runs great! ;-)

Whatcha all think?

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

You'll definitely end up with a -better looking- car. ;-) :-) :-) Iron Ed

Reply to
Edmund W. Conen, III

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ironically, I have the opposite opinion of you. ;-)

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Cindy,

Just wondering, but if you don't like the looks of the Fox, why would you want to trade your GTS for it and some cash?

As for the mileage... 5.0's are known to run 200,000+ miles without too many issues, but a high-mileage 5.0 is known to do the following....

Puke the water pump (these are semi-regular failures) Leak oil from the upper gaskets (lower intake gasket and valve cover gaskets) Leak oil from the rear main (usually on more abused cars)

On top of that, the 5-speed in these cars, while pretty strong, still tend to lose 2nd gear synchros. Take it out and try to get into 2nd under different conditions and see if there's anything odd about it.

Braking is not nearly as effective on these vehicles, and the 4-bolt wheels will limit your wheel choices to a couple of models. While you can swap both the 5-bolt system and the brakes (usually done at the same time), this won't be a cheap swap.

From the very clean interior, it sounds like it either has 81k on it or that it was very well maintained. Look under the hood - that should also help give some indication as to the care of the car. If things are clean and shiny, the engine looks relatively clean, it probably is a lower mileage or well maintained car.

Try to check the emissions records or maybe even have the car re-tested again if emissions will be a problem. This will also point out any major problems with the car (worn rings or valve seals) that will require a rebuild.

Just figured I'd throw a few pointers out there. If the car has 81k on it, it's definately a viable daily-driver candidate - it should last another

100k if maintained properly. It'll need a few things here and there... shocks + struts are probably ready to be changed if stock, should probably have a full tune-up to ensure that you know when the last time the fuel filter and other miscellaneous things were done.

Good luck,

JS

Reply to
JS

Why? Because it has personality. I love my '96, but I just want something different now. I've listened to Fox owners preach the merits of their cars at length; now I want one! I know I will like it and later will probably even love it. I had the opportunity to drive a couple Foxes lately and I really, really liked the feel of the 5.0 and manual combined.

I'm actually considering buying that car in addition to my '96 until I decide what to do with it. I really don't want the '96 anymore. It has served me well, but I have outgrown it after four years. :-)

Maybe I'll keep the 5.0, sell my '96 and buy a beater? All my questions will be answered after a test drive and check up on the 5.0 this weekend.

Thanks for the tips, btw.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Hi ya kiddo, I DO understand wanting something different. Since your 96 is paid for, why not add to your collection rather than trading one for another.

Granted the car you are looking at may be fun, but it may also bring you a lot of headaches. I would suggest finding a good deal on something NEWER like, lets say, a good used 03 Cobra.

kate

Reply to
SVTKate

What you buy, you can always sell. You want it, got to have it, see no other way, then go for it. Just realize there will probably be some issues with a fourteen year old car. That's just part of the territory. I'll just say a 5-speed, 5L pure stock Mustang of that vintage is somewhat of a rarity, so that's definately a plus and a good starting point. 81k miles would be a double plus. If you buy it, then hold on to both cars for a while until sizing up the situation. This way if there's a serious or unforseen problem that crops up, the the GTS is there for back up. GTSs are cool too. As you know the GTS (248A package) is similar in flavor to what the LX 5Ls were all about. Basically a less optioned 5L Mustang. Kind of a Patrict car if you will. :)

I'm not going to praise or rain on your parade concerning the purchase of an older Fox Mustang. Just carefully inspect it, ask alot of questions and maybe even kick the price around. Take a few shots and post a link...You'll make the right decision...Just remember what I said at the beginning of this post...

BTW, which red is it??? Bright Red, Cabernet Red, Strawberry Red???

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

I understand wanting to make a change. Most buy another car for that reason.

181,000 miles isn't an issue if it was maintained well. If treated right and fed a diet of synthetic lubricants, a car nowadays can nearly run forever without any problems.

I had a few annoyances going with my old '89 LX. Biggest problem was the seats. They were uncomfortable to me, and the armrest was anemic. The stereo system didn't sound very good and the ride was a bit primative. Other than that, I loved the body style.

Sometimes change is good. If you love it, buy it. You can do some NEAT things with the older 5.0's on a budget. And I suspect you'll like the 5-sp. far more than the automatic.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

There's is something about the feel of a nice Fox Mustang 5.0L with a manual tranny. To me the rough edges they have regarding braking, handling etc. are what make them fun to drive. Plus when it comes to Fox Mustangs there is a wealth of cheap aftermarkets parts to fix anything you can't live with.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

IMO, Fox Mustangs are one of the most durable cars ever sold. Mine has almost 160,000 miles on it and has been rock solid. I still have the stock front struts, power steering pump etc. Plus I have a supercharger on the stock short block and it still runs great.

If it is in good shape then $3,300 is a great price. Around here (Washington, DC area) Fox Mustang are getting tough to find in decent condition. When I take my car out on the weekends I typically get one or two offers from people. Plus the younger kids really like it.

For what you will have to spend on it from selling the '96 GT, you'll be able to turn the Fox car into a beast.

I doubt it has 181,000 mile on it. The interior would show a lot of wear and tear if it did.

I say buy the Fox. In the worst case you could sell it later and probably make money off it. The price of good condition '87-'93 Stangs are appreciating not depreciating.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yes, I think that's what I will do.

This way if there's a serious or

Yes, and I have babied the GTS for fou years and I still love it, but I'm getting a little bored with it. Finances don't dictate a new Cobra for another year or so..unless a miracle happens, I don't believe in miracles.

Thanks, Mike. Appreciate your advice. Snapped a side shot a few mins ago. Here it is if anybody's interested:

Strawberry red, I believe?

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Hey. :-)

That's what I'm thinking of. Actually, you won't believe what my husband wants to do!!!! I mentioned to him wanting to buy this car if it's as good a deal as I think it is, and he said, "Yeah, that way I can sell the '01 Civic and drive the Mustang." He sucks!!!!!! I hate him!!!!! Jerk. It's MY car. MY find. LOL! I can't allow this. Sure it'd save us a car payment each month, but I really don't want to live without a family car, though we hardly travel anymore, may as well rent a frickin' car when we do. Hmmm... And not to mention, we'd be the laughing stock on the block with THREE Mustangs in the driveway! My sixteen year old step-son has a '98 GT now!

Kate, you have NO idea how much I would love that, but until I get some work, that's out of the question. We already have one car payment, we don't need another. :-(

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

I haven't had a chance yet to talk to the owner, though he lives right next door. :-) We're busy cleaning our yard up in preparation for selling this house, so hopefully this evening I'll have time to drive the car and ask some questions. It breaks me heart just seeing it sit there day after day...dirty and ungaraged... ;-)

I agree, the body style is really cool, though I love the SN95 more. I do love a clean, waxed Fox body! I sat in the car once and it felt...mushy, to say the least, but I can fix that with some nice racing seats later down the road. :-p

You are absolutely correct! I will LOVE the 5sp. I think we will end up buying the car no matter what, just because it is a rare find. The owner said he'd take payments, too.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Sounds promising then.

Yeah, plenty of teens have foxes around here. I know a lady with the exact same car as this '90 lx and she knows what they're worth. She said she wouldn't sell hers for less than $6000.

That's what I was thinking, but my plans have changed, for the time being, anyway.

That's what I think, too. The cloth, from what I saw, had NO damage. Maybe upon closer inspection, I'll see something else.

Thanks for your input!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Yes my 90 LX 5.0 has experienced all three of those problems with 96,000 miles on it since I purchased it new 14 years ago. The past 3 bi-annuals I've had to go to a "test only" smog station here in Los Angeles. The next one is coming up soon. If I don't pass it probably will be because of valve stem gaskets or worn rings. Will I have that work done if necessary. You bet! A lot cheaper than a new car however if I were to get a new car, I am limited because I am tall. My choices would be:

04 stang--Roof to low

05 stang--very interested but will I fit?

04 Neon SRT4--I fit (surprise!) but not for a 60 year old

04 PT Cruiser GT Turbo--Well maybe

04 GTO--plain and I don't know the fit

04 Cadillac CTS-V--Corvette engine and my wife's Catera has been great but for $50,000 I could have a real Vette (but not enough seats for the lunch crowd

Kraut cars--Over priced but good. Above Catera was $12,000 cheaper than 5 series. Easy choice.

So, I'm sorta up the creek therefore I'll rebuild if necessary. Anyone have any alternative choices foe me?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

Looks more like Bright Red (Vermillion) than Wild Strawberry, but my monitor may be fooling me. Anyway, if you're interested, check the exterior paint code located on the drivers door tag for verification.

Bright Red = EP Wild Strawberry = EL

Car looks in decent shape. Just needs a bath for starters...

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

At 96k, if you don't pass emissions, I'll be surprised. I've had 180k mile

5.0 cars (carb + EFI) pass emissions with flying colors before in PA... don't know if they'd pass a CA smog test though. You should be good.

At 96k, if you haven't done so already...

Tune the car up completely with fuel filter, PCV, air filter, EGR cleaning, MAF sensor cleaning, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and oxygen sensors. The O2 sensors will go a long way towards making sure your A/F mixture is correct. They are scheduled maintenance parts at 60k miles.

Change the oil right before giong over, or at least within 1k miles. Clean oil is typically better.

Cars with worn valve seals or rings will typically burn oil and leave a bluish haze out the tailpipes. Other inidcators will be oily spark plugs or even oily tailpipe residue if the situation is bad enough. If I remember correctly (and someone correct me if I'm wrong here), valve guide leaks show up worse when idling for a period of time and then jumping on the throttle... rings tend to show up worse on cold starts.

As for the new car suggestions....

There are modifications to the seats in the newer 'stangs to allow for the seat to be moved farther back, but I don't know about down. Racing seats would fit, or your '90 LX's seats would bolt in. I'm not sure if either would help. The ergonomics of the '05 are *supposed* to be much better and perhaps accomidate taller drivers. I can't offer much help on the others... I haven't been in any of 'em. You mention the "lunch crowd"... I sure hope you don't try to put anything larger than a medium-sized watermelon in the back seat of your LX.... ;-) There's not much room for grown humans. Even little humans have a hard time back there. Have you ever sat in the back of your car? Not fun.

JS

Reply to
JS

When I picked up the spare '93 convertible, both wife and daughter kidded me about giving it up in the summer time. Fact is, other than the day I brought it home, neither has driven it. And, come summer, I may lend it out on the occasional shopping trip, but the bulk of its mileage will still come from me.

My two '93s are worth far less than my wife's Escape. With the insurance break (insuring two V8 Mustangs, but knowing that I can only drive one at a time), the cost of owning the convertible is negligible. I could easily recommend buying the '90 and keeping the '96, but...

My wife has no interest in driving my Mustangs, when she has a new Escape to drive. Your husband, OTOH, has a 2001 Honda Civic. I can believe that he'd dump the Civic in a heartbeat to drive your "new" Mustang... You would have to make it plain (just come right out and say it) that that's not an option.

Otherwise, if HE drives the '90 most of the time, it becomes HIS car, and not yours.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Can you say....... Mercury Marauder ?? These cars respond VERY WELL to mods !!

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.

Reply to
Katmandu

Thanks for the tips on passing the smog test. Right now I think I'll wait for the 05 stang. Did get to drive an 04 GTO at a GM event on the old El Toro (CA) Marine air base. It was fine but not worth the price. Just call me cheap as well.

Reply to
Dave Combs