740 Radiator

I have a 1988 740 Estate manual gearbox so no oil cooler on radiator. I am going to fit a radiator from a 740 estate with a automatic transmission. Can I just fix it straight in, what do I do about the two nuts on the rad where the oil cooler fitted.

Reply to
noreply

They can just be left as you find them, behind the nuts is a very small separate 'radiator' for the Automatic transmission fluid, which dumps it's heat into the main cooling system without actually mixing with it. No water should be able to leak from there, if it does then the rad is faulty. A small amount of reddish fluid might still be in there, but don't worry about it.

Best wishes, Ken Phillips

Reply to
Ken Phillips

Fit it in as normal, and ignore the oil cooler connections. These connect to a small copper cylinder inside the side of the radiator, where the transmission oil can lose its heat to the water in the rad. Providing the oil cooler is not leaking, then no water will come out of these connections.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

The other responses covered it- you can ignore them.

I did this once and connected the two fittings with a short piece of rubber hose. This way no dirt would get inside the oil cooler. Turned out I used the same rad in another car (automatic) a few years later. You should be able to buy caps to cap off those fittings, although at the time I happened to have extra hose and two hose clamps.

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Dont worry about them, I presume you mean you have a manual tranny now ?

Reply to
John Robertson

Reply to
John Robertson