'91 Nissan 240SX Radiator & Thermostat Questions

I'm replacing the radiator and thermostat in my '91 Nissan 240SX and have a couple questions:
For the thermostat, Nissan says to just use liquid gasket
(silicone/RTV). However, several auto parts places sell a flat gasket part for this application. Which is better, the liquid gasket or the flat gasket part?
Some places sell a single model of radiator for this car, whether it's a manual or an automatic transmission. Such radiators have connections at the bottom for automatic transmission cooler lines which can be covered with rubber caps. My car is a manual trans. For my car, would a radiator with the auto trans connections be a potential place for leaking to occur, and would it therefore be a bad idea to use such a radiator?
Thanks for any and all advice on these topics.
M.
Marrow wrote:

Your choice, but you have to let the RTV cure before you drive it. The auto trans radiator would be fine.
Try flat gasket with Permatex gasket maker on both sides.
Stronger adhesion than silicone, quicker set up time, less chance for leakage.

Cardboard cut from a Cereal packet works just great. Needs no gloop so long as no one has butchered sealing faces.

No problem at all so long as you don't let anything in to the pipe to corrode it. -- Peter Hill Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header Can of worms - what every fisherman wants. Can of worms - what every PC owner gets!
Peter Hill wrote:

So if I understand correctly, the coolant for the automatic transmission takes a totally separate path through the radiator than the engine coolant. Therefore, there is no chance of the engine coolant leaking out through the transmission cooler fittings. Is that correct?
M.