760 b27e alternator problems

G'day all

Just a question regarding my wifes '86 760. It seems that the alternator is dead, using a voltmeter to read directly off the battery, I get a reading of roughly 12V. Once I start the car it drops to 9V AND no matter of revving will make go higher.

I'm thinking that the regulator may be stuffed but am open to other ideas.

Otherwise can I just replace the alternator with one from a 4 cylinder? (The 760 has the B27E).

cheers

/Victor

Reply to
Victor

The regulator should be screwed to the back of the alternator. It looks like a large power transistor with plastic covering. The alternator brushes are part of the regulator. Take it to a Bosch agent who can test the alternator and regulator and supply the correct type of either. Alternator is on exchange basis but do not know if reguilator is also. I reckon that the brushes need replacing but just as quick to replace regulator complete with brushes. Anyway your Bosch man should be able to solve your problem.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Thanks Peter

I've got it in a the shop now so hopefully everything will turn out alright.

The regulator may be a bit hard to get hold of here and the only(?) replacement alternator Bosch had in Australia was 650AUD!, so hopefully this guy can work some magic for a bit less than that, otherwise I'll have to call some friends over in Sweden to do some junkyard hunting for me:(

Has anybody in Aus had luck swapping a unit from a another make ie Commodore or Falcon?

cheers

/Victor

Reply to
Victor

Just an update.

The alternator had a burnt stator winding so I ended up calling up several faraway wreckers and got hold of a used unit (95AUD).

cheers

Reply to
Victor