760 turbo hot engine problem

My 1985 760 Turbo after all these years is still going strong. But there is one problem. From time to time when the engine gets hot after driving for about 30-60 minutes the car looses power. You press on gas pedal and the car chokes. This symptom is more common with higher outside temperature. When this happened I noticed bad exhaust smell and the exhaust pipe gets black. When I stop the car and wait some time to cool down the car is good again. It's always good when it is cold. The other thing I noticed is rough idle when it is warmed up. Any advice from you volvo fanatics, guys and girls will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Antek

My guess is the Air Mass Meter (right beside the air cleaner), or the connector thereto. When it is idling roughly try twisting the connector a bit and see if the idle straightens out. If so, cleaning the connector with alcohol may help you as much as it helped me.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee