s80 2.5D d5252t egr

Hi,

I have a year 2000 volvo s80 2.5d (D5252T engine).

I need to replace the egr, but do not have a manual with this engine in. Does anybody know the location of the egr or have a manual that is in electronic form that they can send me?

Thanks in advance

Robbo

Reply to
robbo

It looks like this:

You can easily see and access it from the top. Instead of replacing it you can also just blok the egr. Don't be alarmed if the cloud of smoke behind your car has disappeared after a few hundred miles. Your engine is still running, but with less sooth inside. You can buy tdi egr block plates for this engine for a few bucks. I did it myself on my S70 with the same engine.

Einstein

Reply to
Einstein

Thanks for the info Einstein.

I have noticed that item just at the back of the engine behind the plastic engine cover and wondered if that was it.

Can you please explain what the effect of blocking the egr is? and where i may be able to get one of those plates (UK if possible).

Also can you tell me if there are any known issues with removing them whilst the exhaust is in situ

Many thanks

Robbo

Reply to
robbo

The egr routes filthy exhaust gasses back into the engine. This reduces the amount of NOx in the exhaust gas. At the same time it slowly chokes the engine because all this sooth builds up. With the blocking in place the engine only gets clean air and after a while the engine will produce less smoke.

My car gets a mandatory annual check-up where they also measure the exhaust gasses. Last time the carbon levels where so low that they checked 3 times. They figured their measurig device was faulty :) They don't check the NOx levels (in the Netherlands).

Placing the blockage is done in 5 minutes. Just unscrew the return pipe just behind the egr. Then screw it back on with the blocker at either end.

I bought my blocker at ebay or some other marketplace. If you can't find it you should join a tdi forum and ask them. They might even make one for you.

good luck,

Einstein

Reply to
Einstein

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

Hi,

Thanks for all the information. I took off the vacuum pipe that actuates the EGR valve and noticed something rather shiny in the pipe, so i took my small screwdriver to it and managed to push out a ball bearing. I guess that this was used as a kind of 'blanking plate' as described earlier.

Well i removed it and now my car is not indicating a 'MIL fault' every time it gets up to running temperature! :)

Thanks for all your advice

Robbo

Reply to
robbo