760GLE V6 Oil in Waterl!!!!!

Good day all, ...... hhhhheeeeellllllllpppp please!!!!

I have a 1988 model 760GLE V6 auto estate, B280E engine, whilst checking the water I found a film of oil on the top, panic! Any comments would be Greatly appreciated.

One, is it from the engine, head gasket, liner moved? Two, is it from the gearbox where the cooler pipe goes through the radiator? The scummy oil deposits on the side of the plastic filler tank look to have a pinkish tinge, possibly gearbox oil? Has anyone had leaks in that bit of pipe before, perhaps a piece of pipe could link the radiator out and see what happens next. Three, I have an oil leak from the distributor which drips onto the bottom hose, is it leaking through the hose into the water, unlikely? Four, I replaced the water pump a month ago, possibly grease from the bearing, pretty unlikely as it's still turning ok and probably too much anyway. Five, anything else I don't know about????

Any thoughts will be gratefully received as I would hate to loose the car just when I have started to like it!

Many thanks, Bob Green, UK.

Reply to
R G Green

I would suspect a failed head gasket / warped cylinder head.

Test it.

Reply to
zencraps

Or a previous radiator failure between coolant and oil parts of radiator. The pinkish tinge suggests this. Replace coolant with full 50% mix and check all hoses for leaks (heater turned to full when replacing/reverse flushing).

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

If it is an automatic transmission, the problem is likely a failed intercooler in the radiator. You can confirm this by looking at the transmission fluid on the tranny dipstick - a milky appearance confirms the failure. Repair is by replacing the radiator; when the intercooler fails the rest of the radiator is getting ready to go anyway.

If it is a manual tranny, do the same milkiness check on the engine oil. Normally more coolant will get into the oil than oil will get into the coolant. That would be a worrisome sign, suggesting a head gasket failure. But I'm betting on the radiator.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Good afternoon all, Both engine and autobox oils look ok [brown and dirty but not milky!]. My local hydraulic men have just made me a superb braided hose and ends to link out the radiator [in exchange for a small value bank note!], just fitted it and have now to do a bit of a cooling flush out and await results. Many thanks for the comments, I will post a result ASAP!! Regards, Bob Green.

Reply to
R G Green

Last question for a while! My owners handbook shows a drain tap on each side of the block, all I can see, let alone find is one Allen headed bolt on the drivers side ahead of the crossmember and as bottom hose removal only gets out a couple of litres I obviously need more drainage! Is there an exploded diagram of this engine [B280E] anywhere on the web as I can't seem to find one? Many thanks once again, Bob Green.

Reply to
R G Green

Even though there doesnt appear to be coolant in the autobox oil, i would

*very* strongly suggest you drain, flush and re fill it regardless.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi Tim, If I can just get some nice clean water flowing through tomorrow then it's the very next thing to do!

Reply to
R G Green

There are indeed two taps on the block, I'll let you know when I've successfully found the other one!!! either that, or my manual isn't telling the truth!!

I have a B280F, with high mileage, great motor!! other than it is a pig on fuel.

Reply to
Robert Gilroy

Found the drain tap behind the alternator, it's even got a hose outlet on it, and it works!! However I can find nothing on the other side of the block except masses of fitments, would be nice to find one and open it as I've still got 2 or 3 litres to shift, looks like I might have to settle for several 75% drain outs.

More to the point the water is now looking "much" cleaner!

As for fuel I am convinced that I am supporting a couple of small oil companies personally! Regards, Bob Green.

Reply to
R G Green