Oil in air to intercooler on TDCi - any ideas???

Good morning!

Finally got around to tracing a minor oil leak on my TDCi Focus. It's coming from the join between the hose and rigid pipe that connects the air side of the turbo to the intercooler.

I'm not a mechanic but it seems to me that there should only be air in that pipe - not oil. I've taken the clips off to inspect inside and there is

*definitely* a film of blank engine oil all over the inside of the hose.

I can only think that an oil seal has packed in on the turbo.

Any ideas very gratefully received!

Thanks,

Phil

Reply to
Phil Miles

As far as I know, the crankcase (PCV) is vented upstream of the IC, and perhaps even upstream of the turbo, so a certain amount of oil in the intercooler air circuit would be normal. I have a little bit of grime around that join as well, so it seems the hose clamp isn't perfect for holding back the pressure. If it is a small amount over a year, I probably wouldn't worry. If it is a large amount, then this would point more towards your theory of a ruined oil seal in the turbo itself.

Stephen

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!

---- See

----

Reply to
Stephen F.

A slight "dampness" of oil residue in the intercooler pipework post turbo is normal as the oil seals do just weep very slightly. Volvo actually place a small hole in the bottom of their intercoolers to allow the residue to drain out.

Keep an eye on it- if its actually *swimming* in oil, or you notice the oil level dropping then indeed have the PCV system checked first and then the turbo.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks both of you for your help.

It's not too bad at the moment so I'll just keep an eye on it as Tim suggests.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Miles