'84 240Ti idle varies

Hello,

I could not get my '84 240Ti to pass the emissions test today because it idles too fast - around 1400 RPM.

When cold, it idles around 850 RPM but once hot, it idles faster.

Does this sound like a bad part?

What part?

Or is there a home remedy, sorta like the screw I used to turn to adjust a carburater?

Thank you.

Allan '89 240 196K daily driver '84 240Ti project car from h*ll

Reply to
Greenthumb

First thing to do is clean out the idle speed regulator, it's a cylendrical thing near the intake manifold, has two rubber hoses coming out of one end and going to each side of the throttle body and a cable plugged into the back end. It's a motorized valve that allows air to bypass the throttle plate to regulate the idle speed.

Reply to
James Sweet

If she's too much trouble I'll take that project off your hands, where can I pick'er up?

Reply to
dan