850 flametrap location

Help,

I am very suspicious that I have a gummed up flametrap. I have been into the engine three times and I can't find it. Could someone give me some rough directions where it is located. I see two hoses that come out of the top of the head and drop down through the intake manifold. Do you have to remove components to get to it. I have looked from above and below the car coming up through the bottom shroud. I found it easily on my 740, but no luck here.

Thanks, Randy in Pittsburgh

Reply to
Randy Hass

It's in a housing under the throttle pulley cover. This housing twists out of the fresh air hose from air filter box to throttle body. Be careful you don't drop the oring that seal those 2 pieces together! (Non turbo only, if you have a turbo there is no flame trap.)

Reply to
Mike F

Mike,

Sorry, my e-mail reply was returned. I actually had that fitting off the previous weekend. I went back in again and found that the flametrap had indeed been removed. Still don't know why the oil pressure seems to be running high. I have religiously changed the oil every three thousand miles. The good news is that there is no foamy blow-by. I may get a new gasket for the oil cap. I just don't want to plug it up and raise the pressure any higher. I keep getting a slow leak at the drain plug. I even drained the oil out this weekend and put another new crush washer in. I have not checked yet to see if I still have the leak. (Guess I'm kind of scared to even look at it!)

I'll keep after it and we'll eventually get it sorted out.

Cheers, Randy

Reply to
Randy Hass

Sometimes the surface the washer seats on is not smooth. Using some fine sandpaper on the seating surface does the trick.

-ekk

Reply to
ekk