850 Radiator

I have a 1994 850T with 115,000 miles. So far this year I've replaced the tires all round, shocks and struts, plugs, wires and distributer cap plus
all filters and changed over to synthetic oil at the last change. I also just replaced both the switches on the automatic transmission. The transmission locked in third gear on the Houston freeway at 5pm and that was an education. The cars ability to get home off the freeway in the lower gear was appreciated - after I was off the freeway! To cancel the 'service engine' warning and flashing arrow, I had to replace both the switch on the transmission under the battery tray and also the switch on the gear select console.
When working under the hood I saw that one side of the radiator had a broken bracket and was hanging loose. I'm told that because the radiator is of plastic construction the only solution to this problem is to change out the complete radiator. I was also told that there are so many intergrated computer readings associated with the radiator that I should not consider using a non-Volvo part - even if I could find one available in the USA.
Am I being fed a line? The local quote for a new radiator was about $250 - is this about average or a good deal?
Any feedback would be really appreciated. TIA
Michael
Not true you can install any kind you desire as long as it fits shop around for the best price I do not know makes the radiators for Volvo Glenn
--
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"
------President George W. Bush------

the
plus
also
'service
select
consider

broken
the
$250 -

Fit whatever radiator designed for the 850 you like! The auto trans one has a cooler built into the left side (aux belt side) of the radiator, the manual 'box one does not. Thats all you have to consider. Nissen make very good radiators.
The cars computer doesnt know anything about, nor does it care about what brand of rad is fitted! It only knows the coolant temp, which is sensed by the dual element CTS under the pas pump ontop of the thermostat housing.
Any mechanic which is telling you different....change your mechanic!
Tim..
i;ve bought two radiators from vpi parts in houston, one for a 960 it was 200.00 or less and one for my 240, it was only 145.00 new, they also carry some used parts,and they do ship. the toll free number is 800-303-6544 or local 713-722-0505 mark

the
A very common failure.

broken
the
Check out www.fcpgroton.com. Any top quality brand aftermarket radiator should be fine, this is not something you need to have an original Volvo part for.
John
Thanks for the info, it is a big help. I will have to get it fixed before it leaves me stranded somewhere!
Michael