850 T5: Possible sticking valve lifter

I'm (still) having trouble with starting my car requiring lots of turnover (10-20 secs) at times. It's been suggested that this may be due to a sticking tappet which keeps the valve slightly open at rest thus given no compression. If so, could this just be a single valve? Would it not at least attempt to fire on the remaining 4 cylinders?

What's solution - is there any additive I could use? Very thin synthetic oil? Head strip down?....

Any advice gratefully received!

Graham

Reply to
Graham Dean

How about measuring the compresion ratio, that should indicate if you got a problem with at sticky valve.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Yes, good idea.

Graham

Ps. Unless it starts doing it intermittingly then it's be a pain I guess - but all I can do!

Reply to
Graham Dean