'88 240 "vaporlock" symptoms - hot start problems

I posted the following message on the "Swedishbricks" board but this is still unresolved, so I thought I'd try hear. Basically, the car has lots of problems starting after a short ride in hot weather. Any help greatly appreciated. See below, lots of other strange things!!

Joe

--------------- Dear Bricksters,

I've been away from this newsgroup for a long time, but now return asking for help! I'm trying to diagnose a hard-start (usually when hot) problem on my 1988 240DL wagon. It's driving me crazy -- car starts fine when it's cold or dead of winter, but difficult on hot days and difficult/impossible at times if car has been running and is then shut down and let to sit for many minutes (also happens sometimes if I start up and drive a couple of blocks and shut down).

I'm looking into the "fuel pump check valve", but before doing this I decided to check the fuel pump relay. AND THIS IS WHAT's driving me nuts:

1) I can't be sure I've found the right relay. Behind the dashboard near the steering column is a small (about 1inch cube) 6 terminal metal-box relay. Could this be it?? It doesn't look at all like the pictures I've seen on the Swedish Bricks web site. Also, I went to my local dealer and he showed me what he said was the part -- a white plastic box relay which is much larger than what I've found. WHERE ARE THE RELAYS on this car!!

2) This is where it REALLY GETS STRANGE. In trying to diagonse the problem I pulled the in-tank and main pump fuses (4 and 6) from the fuse box (located in the drivers footwell just forward of the door). THE CAR CONTINUES TO RUN WITH BOTH FUSES PULLED!! I crawl under and the fuel pump is still running!! Also, pulling the relay I mention above doesn't stop the pump.

I'm looking to talk to anyone who knows where things are on this car and what normal behaviour is regarding the fuel pump and fuses. I'm totally baffled as the why the car continues to run. Also, if I did have a relay problem wouldn't the car sometimes die when running?? It has never died when running, only very difficult to start particularly when hot.

Thanks, Joe

-- Joseph P. Levantino Quality By Design - "One Call Does it All" Complete Home Improvements - carpentry - ceramics - painting

732-747-1974 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
Reply to
J. Levantino

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com by J. Levantino dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

On an 88YM the fuel injection combined relay is clipped to the floor carpet bracket forward of the floor duct and above the underdash mat on the passenger side of the car.

Once the computer latches the relay "on" the power feed is through the 25 Amp fuse under the hood.

Either the fuel pump check valve on the main pump is faulty or the prepump quits after running for a while.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench