92 740 turbo...no third gear

My 740 non-turbo sedan is completely down/undrivable (been asking questions about that one, too!) Thanks for advoce on that one! I also have a 92 740 GL turbo wagon that has been loaned to me by a brother. This one is driveable for short low-speed trips at least. It won't shift into third, however.

I guess I don't have a problem with the overdrive relay, I am sure the car only shifts to first and second. When you press the shifter button, the up arrow light illuminates. You have to rev up a little over 4000 RPM to drive 60 mph....needless to say, I have to avoid the freeway, and it gets probably about 12 miles/gal because of the high RPMs. What can I do short of tranny replacement? Could a power flush possibly bring third gear back to life? Can the kickdown cable be so misadjusted that it no longer goes into third? I think that adjusting it changes all shift points up or down, right? But the first and second gear shift points seem fine/smooth, so that doesn't seem to point to it being misadjusted. Brother has a spare tranny, (which the guy who sold him the car says is good)...but I just wanted to exhaust all possibilities before brother goes through the expense of replacing it. Thanks!

Reply to
Geronimo

The kickdown cable is the first thing I'd check, as well as the linkage on the transmission.

I despise automatic transmissions largely for issues like these, but the ones Volvo used are relatively robust.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Dlee

Well I did say *relatively* robust, they fail occasionally but they also routinely last 250-300K miles, at least the AW-70 and 71. The ZF4HP22 is another story though.

Reply to
James Sweet

And that is a lot more than I can say for the tranny in the Blazer (700-4R or whatever they call it). Good for about 100-125 thousand. Just over 2300,000 on teh Blazer and it has had two full rebuilds and and major repair/going through. And it's more than you can say for Taurus trannies as well. Those are so terrible that my tranny guy says that it isn't even worth rebuilding them- they just buy one from Ford..

All I know is I got synth in my 5 speed box and I let the wife worry about the 960.. ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Sorry to reply to ancient history. On turbo cars the transmission dipstick is positioned so that one must move the transmission throttle cable aside to pull it out or refill the box after a trans oil change. Most times the cable sleeve has backed out of the ferrule. If you are careful you can grip the sleeve with a couple pairs of visegrips and tap the sleeve back into the ferrule. If you collapse the ferrule the cable will jam and defeat the repair. Once the sleeve is back in place, snap the cable like you playing a guitar and adjust it so that you can hear a decisive click in the gearbox when you release it. Take care that the cable is properly aligned on the throttle spool when you are done.

The transmisson throttle cable (kickdown cable) turns a cam that increases throttle pressure in the transmission. When throttle pressure exceeds the governor pressure the transmission shifts down. When governor pressure exceeds throttle pressure the transmission shifts up.

If the cable is at fault usually the 1-2 shift will be much later than normal. With light throttle the transmission should shift into third gear by 25 mph, the third gear-over drive shift should occur between 35 and 40 mph.

Bob

Reply to
User