87 740, OD light 1/2 illuminated

I have noticed that the over-drive dash light (up arrow) in my 87 740 automatic sometimes becomes 1/2 or dimly illuminated. If I press the shift lever switch it fully illuminates and the trans downshifts if it is in 4th. Pressing the switch several times usually causes the light to go off completely. There doesn't seem to be anything unusual with the way the trans is functioning. Does a 1/2 illuminated light mean anything (I don't have an owner's manual)?

RHL

Reply to
Roger Levy

Probably solder joints starting to crack in the OD relay, not really a big deal.

Reply to
James Sweet

Can also be loose connections to lamp via printed circuit, or even lamp loose or faulty connection inside the lampholder (Toshiba V2 type).

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes