94 940 Rough idle after air filter change? AMM?

I just replaced my air filter in my 94 940 with a K&N. In the process I disconnected the air mass meter harness so I could move the top half of the air box out of the way. Immediatey after I installed the new air filter (and replugged-in the AMM harness) the idle became a little bit rougher and in the next couple of days countinued to worsen. At this point the car occasionally dies at idle. The idle is rough, but in a pulsing or surging kind of way thats very consistent. I feel like the problem is in the AMM area because after starting the car, I've unplugged the AMM harness and plugged it back in, and the idle smoothens out for a while. Anyone have any input as to what might have happenned here? I'm going to clean the harness and amm connection and gob on some fresh dielectric grease and see if that helps.

Reply to
roland

I'm sure you're on the right track. The AMM connector is a common enough problem, and sometimes reseating it (like you did) can stir up evil spirits.

I've had fair luck cleaning mine with isopropyl alcohol. I dunno about dielectric grease. Hi-fi shops also carry a contact improver called "Tweek" (sp?) that is a block polymer (whatever that is) in an isopropyl carrier. Supposedly it is conductive in thin films and insulating in thick films.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks, I cleaned the harness terminals with some iso alcohol and a small brush. Upon first starting the motor, the idle seemed to be better. Then all of a sudden the idle began surging/pulsing again and soon went away. I've taken a couple drives around the block and the same thing happens regularly. Idle will be nice and steady and then sporadically will start surging and then go back to being nice and steady. I dont get it. Anyone?

Reply to
roland

Another thing: When in Drive with my foot on the brake the idle is fine, but once I put it in park the idle begins pulsing and almost dies repeatedly. Why? With the engine on I pulled the AMM harness to see if the idle improved, and it severely worsens, but once I re-plug the harness, the idle evens out and the idle surges stop. I'm guessing I need a new AMM.

Reply to
roland

Roland, this is just a thought, but with the engine running and the AMM in place, remove the K&N filter and see how the engine runs. I wouldn't run for long like this, and if you have another filter to test, that would be best.

Perhaps the K&N is choking the engine. Be sure to check and make sure no vacuum hoses were loosened or removed when you removed the AMM and assembly on that end.

roland wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

another thought is that you might have introduced an air leak when you were working on changing the air filter. Perhaps one of the ducts has a split or weak spot that opens to introduce additional air, which upsets the air/fuel mix... Or you might have dislodged an air line leading to the intake manifold, causing the same thing... go back over your connections before you replace the AMM....

A few years ago, I used a small straightpin to GENTLY push the little metal "fingers" in the AMM connector closer together, giving a better contact. Solved the problem I was having, but be careful!... And I use a little spray of PRO-GOLD, a contact enhancer, to improve the conductivity...

Reply to
Perry Noid

The problem is getting worse. On the freeway tonight while going about

60 the idle was periodically dr> another thought is that you might have introduced an air leak when you were
Reply to
roland

fuel pump, or fuel pump relay. While you are there, put in your new fuel filter as well.

My '89 240 has the main pump under the car, behind the left rear wheel, and an in-tank pump... supposedly, the car will run without the in-tank pump, but when the gas level gets low, the main pump might have trouble pulling fuel out. Also, there is a little rubber hose between the in-tank pump and the delivery tube, and if that develops a tear, the main pump will suck air when the fuel level drops below the tear....

suggest you fill the tank, and see if that solves the problem. If it does, your intank pump or hose is bad. If it doesn't help, I'd go for the main pump... They are relatively cheap at places like Autozone...

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Perry Noid

forgot to mention... there's a large fuse mounted on the left firewall, near the ignition coil... this is apparently the main fuse to the engine electronics, and if it is loose you will have the engine cutting out... been there, done that! Check that fuse (30 amp, I think) and make sure it's seated firmly....

Reply to
Perry Noid

Check your fuel pump relay. It gives similar symptoms when going bad. I replaced the one for my 940 for less than $50 (USD) and 30 minutes of time. In my case, it solved the problem; it may or may not be the same issue you are experiencing, and the timing of it with the air filter change could be coincidental.

NCMan

Reply to
Opie