'95 850 GLT Eating Starters?

My 850 seems to be eating starters?

About 1 year is all I am getting, and then they go "Click"

If I whack them with something..2x4, mallet, etc... then they start right up.

What is it... are they just making ones that last anymore, or is this a symptom of something else?

The car start right up if it cranks at all. The light don't dim a lot as if the current was too high... It either starts immediately, or goes "click" and nothing in between.

Any Ideas? So far they all have been Warranty replacements... but is a day without my car, and occasionally getting stranded with a 2x4....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Sisson

Are you buying crappy rebuilt starters from Schucks or some other chain autoparts store? I made the mistake of buying cheap rebuilds of things a couple times and had a similar experince.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nope, I am getting supposedly "New" starters from the Dealer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Sisson

I'd bet a nickel you've got a broken tooth on the flywheel. Once in a while you get unlucky that the car stops with the starter between the teeth and jams on start. If it's a manual, you can try jogging the flywheel a bit with a push start.

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

My father used to have a POS Renault that the starter/solenoid would do this often. There were a couple of broken teeth, he would push it a bit and then give the starter/solenoid assembly a good whack with a

2x4...always fired right up after that.
Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

Reply to
John Robertson

Starters usually turn the flywheel. If the flywheel is mangled, the new starter won't work unless you replace the flywheel also.

Reply to
Stephen Henning