95 850 TURBO WAGON starting problem

Wife was driving fine all day. Went to start, nothing. Got the mumbo jumbo display on the radio and all warning lights were dim. I couldn't even get the windows to go up. After a couple of seconds turn key again and still nothing but the warning lights look normal and I was able to put up the windows with normal power. Car has 114,000. Volvo battery is 4 years old. Had new coil at 87,000 and new fuel pump at 110,000. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Phil

Reply to
PK

Try cleaning the lead oxide from the battery terminals. Remove the cables from battery end, negative cable first and last.

Dale P.........

97 850
Reply to
dale_peterson

Could be the battery. Both my Volv0-branded batteries quit suddently. One, started fine when I went to lunch, and was completely dead when tried to return. Second one, same thing while running errands, No hint of trouble until it quit (conveniently, in an auto parts store parking lot).

I've been using non-Volvo batteries since then, and both have given sufficient warning of impending failure to buy a new one before being stranded.

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Reply to
Doug Warner

I have never got less than 6 years out of a Volvo original equipment battery.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Sure enough it was the battery. Just shy of four years on a Volvo battery. Put in an Interstate this time. Thanks for the helpful replies.

Reply to
PK

PK, Now that it's running drive it to your local Volvo dealer and turn it in. You don't have enough mechanical apptitude to drive a Volvo.......... sfsf

Reply to
dale_peterson

At least I have enough mechanical aptitude to change the battery and smart enough to stay away from dealer service shops. Most a--holes who drive Volvos don't even know how to open the hood! By the way I own three of them.

Reply to
PK