Tare weight of 2-series?

I'm trying to find a definitive weight of a 2-series Volvo. Most of the web sites that I've looked at have either had a weight that was too light or quote vague "ranges" of weight.

The reason that I'm trying to find a weight is that the original weight of the "heaviest sedan variant" is used to determine the maximum engine capacity permitted where I am.

It's explained here:

In summary, heaviest sedan variant can be 2-door or 4-door but not a wagon. The weight is supposed to include all fluids at normal levels,

10 litres of fuel and no people or luggage. Standard equipment counts but options don't, so a GLE coming standard with power steering, A/C, etc. counts but not extras such as a towbar.

To be allowed to put turbochargers on the 350 chev in my Volvo, I need to be able to show that the heaviest sedan variant weighed over 1434kg (3155lbs). Otherwise, I'll have to source a 327 crankshaft and rebuild the engine to the smaller capacity...

Any suggestions?

Reply to
athol

How would they ever know whether the engine was a 327 or a 350?

IIRC the heaviest sedan model was right around 3100 lbs, there's so many variables though I don't know how you could possibly specify it down to within a hundred pounds or so. Why don't you weigh the car? Any metal scrap yard should have a vehicle scale.

Reply to
James Sweet

It can be done. Not easy but possible. Unfortunately, aside from the fact that I would know, the receipt that I have for the engine clearly states that it's a 350.

I found reference to early 264GLEs and 244GLTs over the 3155lbs that I was looking for. I just need to find a viable way of proving it...

Vehicle manufacturers specify down to far less. Often, they'll specify the weight of a car to an odd number of kg, but the AU model will have a different specified weight to the US model, Canadian model, etc..

The weight I have to use is the original manufacturer's weight, not as modified.

So far, I've found this web site that has dubious accuracy:

The reason why I question it's accuracy is that the vehicle listed is a

1980 240 Turbo (no such thing) and the 1980 264GLE is listed as much lighter than it should be and has the 2.8L engine capacity listed instead of the 2.7L.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to confirm the weight of a 240GLT as 1440kg because that would solve the problem. :-)

Reply to
athol

I'm not sure I understand the significance? I guess things are different there but here nobody would care what the displacement of the engine is.

I know someone who has or had a 1980 240 Turbo, they didn't make very many of them but they did make them.

Reply to
James Sweet

Bureaucrats care. :-p

It was called a "240", not a "244" in 1980?

Reply to
athol

will the owners manual do? It isn't always pointed out that those weights include the driver. Otherwise the diesel (1369) is slightly heavier than the turbo (1364). Some markets had 244 GLT's with the V6, these might be heavier. 1980 turbo's could be police versions, or you might put it down to the volvo practice of introducing 81 models in the fall of '80.

Reply to
m-gineering

That's never been easy. Depending on what country and what the car is, all sorts of "standards" might have been used. In the US, in the 40's some cars' weights were listed dry, and without tires, but that was not generally advertised. I think it might have had something to do with registration or shipping fees, but that's hjust a guess.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Door sticker? No such thing on an Australian market vehicle.

The rule here applies to the heaviest variant, not to the actual car.

Because of what I do for a living, my own vehicle has to be beyond reproach. If not, I could genuinely jeopardise my career.

Pretending that a 350 is a 327 could be a serious issue. Proving that a turbocharged 350 is okay would eliminate the problem.

Reply to
athol

The factory weight of an AU market '80 264GLE is 1390kg...

I don't think that there is even any such thing as an '80 262 GL. By '80, the 262 was a Bertone 262C.

Reply to
athol

Reply to
athol

The Dutch vehicle registration authority lists 240 turbo's at 1305 kg, and a diesel at 1335kg. Will figures for a 264 do?

Reply to
m-gineering

They are the same chassis, so yes, a 264 weight would be fine.

Reply to
athol

Got it: go to

is the offical register of our road vehicle licencing authority inthe Netherlands

type in ZJ-HN-10 in the yellow licence plate (note capitals!) hit "zoeken"

massa ledig voertuig = 1530 kg (mass empty vehicle)

Reply to
M-gineering

I'm guessing that this is the details of a specific car?

Eek! That's far heavier than expected!

Let's see... 264 TE (never heard of TE before), Blue, petrol, 6-cylinder, Built 1 July 1977, entered Netherlands 25 May 1999, current rego renewed

28 June 2005, expires 3 June 2006. Oh, and they haven't got the engine capacity, gross mass or tow rating on their records...

How'd I do?

Reply to
athol

The 1977 and 1979 Volvo brochures say "approx 1635kg".

wheelbase model. I didn't even know it existed until I entered264TE into google... Thank you, thank you, thank you. :-)

Reply to
athol

yes, you can look up your own car and see when it is due for it's MOT etc. I had to troll a few websites for a picture of a nice and heavy

264.

correct, standard 264.s are around 1330, but this is a special import so they didn't bother with the all the details. But they made sure they got the weight right, as that is used for -heavy- taxation ;)

Reply to
m-gineering

You might want to keep mumm about the extra long wheelbase ;)

Reply to
m-gineering