A VOLVO diesel engine?

It should also be cleaner. In Europe they remove about 99% of the sulphur, while in the US most gets left in. I think they just implemented some standard that requires that *some* of it be romoved, but it's still dirty stuff here, responsible for the bad reps diesels have in the USA. The cost to remove the sulphur and bring us into the 21st century? About $.01 per gallon.

It's the same with home heating oil.

Reply to
mj

I think it was Saab that claims the exhaust it produces is cleaner than the air it takes in !!

Nick (In UK where modern diesels are generally not perceived as dirty at all...)

Reply to
Nick

"Bret Ludwig" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Just some facts from Europe

Diesel cost 10% less than Gasoline (benzin)

The 240 from 1984 that my nabo got, has run 498.000km and still runs 12-13 Km/l another got app.600.000km on the clock and that could even run on home-made colza oil (rapeoil).

You can't compare a 20 year old construction with modern diesel engineens, the 85hp from the Volvo could easily be optained by a modern 1,4 liter engine, unfortunately particel filters must be used becaused off the very small carbon particels.

for refitting with a modern motor try some of the swedish home pages like:

had seen B234's (16valves) with bi turbo and 500Hp (and special gear box)940's with B254 still pulling on the back wheels, so why not a D5 in a 240? The latest D5 2,4 comes with 163 hp or 185 hp.

Reply to
Peter A. Jensen