wiring a voltage regulator 0.190.350.079

I purchased a 190.350.079 reg and my 73 vw has 2 wires coming from the arm post ( 1 heavy red and 1 small wire ) . a small wire from the field and a ground wire
There is a heavy red wire from the battery and 1 wire from the indicator light. all the schematics show 5 wires When I hook all the wires shown in the schematic, I have the 1 small wire from the arm left, and the only way I can get the gen to charge is to spark it on the Battery + where does this wire go