AC Auxiliary Fan not coming on

1992 240GL sedan. 140,000+ miles.

Just checked the fan by wiring directly. It does work.

The fan is triggered by the AC relay if a teacher in the tech. school where I work is correct. Where is this relay located and what is the approximate cost? Can this be replaced easily without taking it to a dealer?

Thanks for your assistance.

Reply to
James R. Sassman

Volvo doesn't generally turn the fan on that way. While I'm not 100% sure, either there's a high pressure switch somewhere on the pipe from condenser to expansion orifice, or the only thing that will turn the fan on is the temperature switch in the radiator.

Reply to
Mike F
1992 240GL sedan. 140,000+ miles.

Volvo doesn't generally turn the fan on that way. While I'm not 100% sure, either there's a high pressure switch somewhere on the pipe from condenser to expansion orifice, or the only thing that will turn the fan on is the temperature switch in the radiator. >>

That is exactly how my fan comes on in my 1990 745T. The relay is on the front of the strut column on the driver's side of the car. Easy fix.

Reply to
R51reed

That is what the wiring diagram shows: the wiring from the fan comes from a relay. I will look in the a.m. to see if it is in the same location on the 240.

Thanks to all for your replies!

Jim

Reply to
James R. Sassman

Hello

If you find out how to fix this problem. Pass along the info because my'92 240 has the same problem. I too saw this relay in the schematic I looked at.But could not find it on the car.

Anyone have any info?

Reply to
Ford Fan

Reply to
Sharon Klein

Thanks! That is where I thought it was. It appears the clip is cracked a little and am wondering if it was removed at the dealership during testing of the Air Mass Meter which was replaced.

Reply to
James R. Sassman