Accuracy of Fuel Consumption data via Trip Computer

Hi, Newbie to this group although been trolling for a few weeks. I've looked for a charter and/or FAQ but no luck so please accept apologies if this post is not appropriate here. I have a Volvo C30 but not sure if this group is for current or classic Volvos - I am sure you will let me know !

Whilst is it obvious that fuel consumption is dependant on a number of variables, hitorically how reliable is the fuel consumption data provided by the trip computer in Volvos? When the computer indicates you have say,

200km left in the tank, is this reasonably accurate ? Or are these devices simply a gimmick which should be ignored ?

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Mal from Oz

I can only speak for the 850 (GLT 2.5 and T5)/V70 (T5 and D5) makes. My experience with the gasoline powered Volvos shows an accuracy compared to the manual calculation of 2-3 % deviation. IMHO this is very accurate. What I found out is that the fuel tank volume indicated by the manual is very conservative. My new Volvo V70 D5 (185 hp) has an indicated fuel capacity of 72 litres. I once refueled more than 75 litres.

The fuel consumption indicated on the computer on the same Volvo V70 D5 is roughly 10 % lower than the real value which I consider as very inaccurate.

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Thanks for that Joerg - so apart from checking it myself against an empty tank - are you suggesting that the computers in the petrol engines appear to be more reliable that their diesel counterparts ?

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Mal from Oz

In my individual case that is my experience. My wife switched from a gasoline powered Renault Scenic to the new 2.0 Diesel (150 hp/340 NM) with 6 Gear-Automatic. In this particular case the trip computer on the diesel is more accurate (1-2 % deviation) than the one on the 2.0 gasoline 4 Gear-Automatic was (3-4%).

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

The fuel consumption computers in Volvo and other cars are reasonably accurate when measuring things like average MPG for an entire tank of gasoline or spot MPG. The

It's a reasonably accurate but not precise measure that assumes your driving habits won't change. It is not precise on the cars I'm familiar with when compared to the analog fuel gauge. The car will appear to use somewhat less fuel for the first half tank of gas compared to the second half. I have to assume this anomaly has to do with a gasoline tank that is irregular in shape.

No, unlike rain sensing wipers they actually do something useful.

Reply to
Roadie

The estimate is based on the recent rate of fuel consumption. If, for example, you have been driving on limited access highways, and then go onto city roads, the estimate will be way off.

Reply to
Marvin

Thanks all for the feedback re the the fuel data.

On the wipers tho, odd you should say this - this is the first car I have had with rain sensing wipers and am impressed (so far). We had plenty of rain on the weekend in varying degrees, spits, showers and heavy rain. I was actually very impressed with them. Even to the point where they adjusted their speed and sweep rate depending on how hard it was raining. I'm don't know whether this is a standard feature with rain sensing wipers, but the C30 has a sensitivity adjustment on the steering column. I had this set at about 50% and I found the system very effective.

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Mal from Oz

They work well maybe 70% of the time. Other times the wiper will begin speeding across the glasss under the slightest of mist or it will operate at a very slow speed in a downpour. I'm told by other owners that their experience is similar. To be honest it really offers no improvement on simply switching the wipers on as needed.

Reply to
Roadie

Ok, I'll definitely keep an eye on their behaviour then. Concur that turning the wipers on/off manually is no real drama - but I was impressed by the need not to continually adjust the speed every time the rain changes - and it does that here a lot in a short space of time. You find yourself continually changing from intermittent, slow, fast, back to slow etc

I did find that with the adjustment knob set to 100% that the wipers didn't stop quickly when the rain stopped. Thats why I set the dial to half-way. After that I found them 100% effective. Caveat: this was the first weekend I had to use them and the really heavy rain is yet to come. Maybe I'll report back at the end of winter to see if I am still as impressed !

But appreciate the heads up.

Cheers Mal Oz

Reply to
Mal from Oz

I may be overstating it somewhat, because most of the time they perform as you describe by speeding up and slowing down ad the rainfall changes. Some of the time, after the wipers have been in rain sensing mode for a while they behave erratically as I described. It's as though the memory chip overflows with rain measurement data and goes wacky. Shutting the wipers off for a moment and restarting seems to cure the problem. Dealer says this is common and a family member who owns a Chevy suburban with those wipers reports the same experience.

Reply to
Roadie