Getting Rid of Computer in Current TJ (without engine swap)

I talked with a guy who has a current 4.0 liter TJ and wants to get rid of the computer. Never mind why...

Can he get a carbureted manifold for this head and put a points or electronic distributor in where the stub thing goes now, without major problems getting the body computer to do its stuff (run the speedo, et al)? Or use an aftermarket computer to run the FI , its existing manifold and injectors?

He has a real transmission, but if he had a slushbox, would that be a big problem?

(I told him to plug the injector holes, put a propane mixer on the front, and run propane...but he didn't like that idea. In all honesty propane is more than gas out here and stations are often pricks.)

We are both in a state where pretty much anything goes as long as it still has what resembles a Catalyst in the exhaust. Punching them is a fine art out here. (Next state over they don't even have inspections!)

Reply to
Ted Azito

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I run propane in my waggy, and I'm still here. No problems with it, as long as you don't use it until the engine is warm.

Dave Milne

Gee, Ak Miller never had that problem-nor did any of the many offroad, Pikes Peak, and drag racers that ran it nor anyone else I have ever heard. I'm not saying it never ever happened-it's very certainly not common, and I'd go so far as to say, flat impossible in straight propane setups. Since the fuel comes in as a gas even to over-carb dual fuel setups, I'd say it's damn rare there too.

But if it happened-same as on a gas car-turn off the ignition. The fuelock shuts off fuel flow cold and if the engine were at WOT it would clear itself in less than a second. All cars today, except Saabs, have the key on the steering column so they can't claim they couldn't get to it.

Bill, you've said a lot of things I don't agree with, but this is the first out and out dumb-as-a-rock one. This is so much horseshit I have to believe even you don't believe it. (It might have happened on one really shitty conversion---but it's happened on peckerwood-rigged gas carburetor setups too.)

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Propane does freeze the mixer water supply when the outside temperature is close to 32F, as the radiator thermostat prevents the water from moving. However, I've never had a problem once the engine has warmed up on petrol with propane at those temperatures on WOT; just can't see it happening.

Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer (Propane/Petrol), '99 TJ

Reply to
Dave Milne

Dave, since you're from beautiful Scotland, have you had any good haggis lately? I just saw the recipe for traditional haggis a few days ago and OH MY GAWD the stuff that is in haggis!!! I mean.... sheep or lamb stomach, mutton suet, lamb's liver, "hearts and lights (?) of the sheep, etc.. Holy Smoke! :D

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, McSweens is probably the best make. It tastes great, but it doesn't do to think too closely about it. The lamb stomach is used as the wrapper to hold it all together ( the cheaper brands use plastic).

On the other hand, its probably better than eating a sausage. Or commercial pies which have the tastefully named "mechanically recovered meat" where they it off the bone in a slurry.

Dave Milne

Sorry about your friend, Bill. The carb is the stock one the Waggy came with (its going to be replaced with an Edelbrock shortly). The propane unit is heated by a radiator take off, and then goes into a unit which bolts on top of the carb. I had it freeze once at the propane unit when it was very cold outside but the engine just stopped. The carb doesn't seem to get that cold really. Out of interest, how much gas comes out a nitrous bottle during the 10 second shot ?

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I had an uncle that had an El Camino and a Dodge chassis small RV ( a Mickey Mouse deal built out of the cheap siding they sell via boiler-room phone operations to hicks and old people) that were dual fuel in that time period so I remember them, in America, and quite well. Throttle sticking at WOT was unheard of. (And a phone call to a local propane place that maintains several propane burners in the area drew a blank from them too.)

What DID happen to Uncle Dummy (he was actually smart, but not about machinery) not once but twice was an underhood fire started by a backfire. There was a three position knob, gas/off/propane and to switch you put it in the middle under load then when it dropped power you pushed in or pulled out all the way. He'd ram the handle in and it would backfire and light the gasoline filled carburetor off. The El Camino melted the entire engine top and they had to repaint the hood, rewire everything, and change a lot of stuff. The Dodge-with a \-Six-wasn't badly damaged: you could get another $10 carb from the junkyard in those days.

Dual fuel worked poorly in those days, but a properly engineered electronic system today might work fine. Straight propane done right is the best way to run a spark ignition engine there is.

I think 0||||||0 is just an old channelmaster (remember those, from the Chicken Bandit days?) that if it "ain't how he was raised it ain't no good." They didn't have this stuff when he was a kid, so it can't be worth a shit and is probably communist to boot.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Wow, you get American Haggis ! In a Can !

Haggis, Rooties and Tatties - I suppose it has a certain ring to it ...

Dave Milne

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:

Haggis.... in a can? ew. >_< I likes me haggis fresh.

Now the Whisky Cake.. :)

WHOAH!.. Vegitarian Haggis? Ain't that sheep poop?

Reply to
DougW

It's not going to be pleasant is it ?

Dave Milne

Heh, sausage and hot dogs are the last bits that could be MADE to look pink. The rest becomes Scrapple. What, you think they throw that stuff out?

Heck, they use "everything but the squeal" from pigs.

Only Scottish thriftiness could take a stomach and make either dinner or a musical instrument (bagpipes) out of it. Both of which are, shall we say, an acquired taste?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Well, you got it in one. Haggis was a dish for people who couldn't afford any red meat, let alone the prime Aberdeen Angus Steak*. Tourism has promoted haggis to a delicacy status which it doesn't deserve. Nevertheless, I had an entree of "haggis in filo pastry with a reduced redcurrant jus" yesterday in a nice restaurant, so there is no telling how cultured our food can become ! A wee bit like meself, ye ken ?

  • Steak - you call Rump steak Sirloin, not to be confused with Sirloin which you call Porterhouse.
Reply to
Dave Milne

Dave, I sure hope I can take my family to tour Scotland some day. If we do, and that is a major goal of mine, I'll see if we can't hook up so we can all have a good time avoiding haggis in that haute cuisine restaurant you were in yesterday. Anything but haggis is on my list of Scottish foods to try. Well, maybe a few bites of a good haggis wouldn't hurt, eh? :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Plenty of beer for you to try as well :-)

Dave Milne