Tech. questions: LT77 and disk brake conversion.

Hi again, Flushed with the success of my tax-exemption thread, I have a couple of technical questions for you guys which I'm sure you can answer quickly. Once again if there's an FAQ I should refer to please point me there (have checked the one for this group).

1) If I understand correctly an "LT77" is the 5-spd. gearbox with full-time 4WD from 90 & 110 type onwards (variously superseded in 1990s). Will this box work OK with series-type axles? Or can I expect worse fuel consumption compared to an old-style box and free-wheeling hubs? (due to front drivetrain drag etc.)

2) Is it possible to convert a series-type front axle to disk brakes? If so is it just a matter of swapping everything from the swivel ball outwards? I've seen some references to aftermarket kits, but I'm talking about using standard parts, assuming I had a whole axle as a donor.

Thanks in advance, Ruaridh.

Reply to
Ruaridh

No. Unless you find a Stage I V8 font axle, which has CV joins rather then UJ's.

There is/was a kit available from Chris Perfect. Just swapping bits won't work without a lot of work. The fact the eveyone's not doing it tells you all you need to know! Or you could look for a Santana front axle/swivels - very rare in the UK though.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It is possible, but you need to either convert the front axle to full time four wheel drive or the transfer case to part time four wheel drive. Either is expensive. Fuel consumption for the part time four wheel drive would not be significantly different, higher for full time four wheel drive, but probably not a major change. Why would you want to do it? seems like a lot of trouble for little gain unless you are fitting an engine that develops too much power for the Series gearbox.

I believe Zeus do a disc brake kit. There are no standard parts you can use. It is possible to fit a Rangerover or Disco axle, but there are serious problems, the main one being that the track rod behind the axle goes through the springs. There are ways round this but none strike me as very satisfactory. It is not feasible to change from the balls out, although it is probably possible if you have a good engineering shop available - apart from the fact that nothing quite fits, you still have the problem that the track rod is at the back on all disc brake Landrovers, but at the front on Series Landrovers. If you just want to improve the brakes, consider upgrading to Stage 1 drums, or at least to lwb 11" drums if it is an 88. JD

Reply to
JD

Great - thanks. Re. disks:- understood. Re. g/box:- I would want to do it just to get the 5th gear / higher cruising speed. I may have misunderstood - perhaps when people fit 5 speed boxes to older Landrovers they use the old transfer box arrangement. Is this possible? Of course I'm aware I could use Fairey overdrive with the old box, but I'm unclear on how good that is. Cheers, Ruaridh.

Reply to
Ruaridh

It is probably easier to fit the five speed box to the Series transfer case, but still may involve engineering work including replacing prop shafts and moving gearbox mounts due to different length of box.

The Fairey overdrive is effective but is a bit fragile although it performs well if looked after. The much rarer Toro overdrive is said to be better, but I have no experience with it. JD

Reply to
JD