Age of winter tyre before buying new.

Hi NG.

I have a Volvo v40 2002 (purchased medio 2001)

I have summer and winter tyre and have totaly driven 36000 km.

Tyre type, Kleber 185/65x15T is stored in cellar with windows.

How old can my winter tyre be before replacement.

Reply to
Joergen Bondesen

Depends, I don't go by age so much as condition. If the tire is well worn or the sidewall is cracking don't use it, if it looks to be in good shape, go for it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi James.

Thanks for your advise. My tyre looks and feels nearly as new, so I will use them this winter too.

Reply to
Joergen Bondesen

You shouldn't use a tyre more than 5 years old. It might look OK, but rubber is attacked by oxygen, it makes the rubber harder and more brittle - the same effect as over curing it.

Reply to
Artleknock

Hi Artleknock.

Thanks for your advise. My tyre looks and feels nearly as new, so I will use them ONLY this winter too = 5 years.

Reply to
Joergen Bondesen

If they look and feel new I wouldn't worry about it, just watch for cracks forming on the sidewall. If they start to get tired looking replace them.

Reply to
James Sweet

To my knowledge the tyres do not work after 3 years, where you bought them for. After 3 year the rubber gets too hard and the benefit over sommer tyres has gone. I drive a V70-II

Robert

"Joergen Bondesen" schreef in bericht news:eepmjb$1oir$ snipped-for-privacy@newsbin.cybercity.dk...

Reply to
volvo480

I used to work for Michelin and drove on company tyres. All tyres were changed and scrapped off after 5years, even the unused spare. A tyre might look good, but the composition of the rubber changes and becomes brittle with age. The first crack might appear when the tyre is under stress and cause it to collapse completely.

Reply to
Artleknock