air conditioner in 740-which type?

I brought my '87 740 GLE in to get the a/c recharged. The mechanic said the a/c was labeled with one type (there's a plastic tag that says: R134a) but the nozzle or connector was a different type, so he didn't want to recharge it. I don't know what to do. I would appreciate any suggestions.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim

It originally had R12, but it sounds as if it's been retrofitted. If in doubt it wouldn't hurt to spend the $100 or so to install a new retrofit kit, if the charge has leaked out it probably needs new O rings and a new reciever/dryer too, that's the bulk of the cost of the kit.

Reply to
James Sweet

In article , snipped-for-privacy@skyparlor.com by Jim dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

If the shop can't test the refrigerant to determine what's in it, then find a shop that can. If the shop that did the "conversion" didn't change the service port fittings to the proper type, then find a shop that can do both these things correctly and have the system repaired to operation in a proper manner.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

The only proper way to be sure is to find a shop that has a refrigerant tester. They can take a sample out of the system, and their machine will test it and tell them what it is. Chances are you have 134a, and what should have been a permanent conversion fitting was only temporarily attached over the R12 fitting to do the initial fill and then removed.

Reply to
Mike F

If you have a full charge its ez to tell if its 134a or 12. 134a will warm up when you stop at a redlight, 12 wont.

Reply to
Jack in Dallas