On Topic. For a change. Recharging AC

I have a 97 Nissan PU King Cab. The AC has been kinda warm lately. Well, at least in the mid 90's temps we had the last few days here in NY. I was thinking of recharging the AC myself rather than spend a couple of hundred $$$ for a mechanic to do it. I had recharged a car AC back when the coolant was freon, but haven't done any with the newer R134a coolant. I saw an ad in the JC Whitney catalog for a Recharge/Service kit for $48 (don't look for it on the JCW site, they don't show it there). It's an Interdynamics combo kit consisting of an AC gauge and a 14 oz. refill can of R134a. Has anyone used either of these and is then procedure any different than with the old freon? It's been a long time since I recharged an AC unit, so I doubt if I can remember that procedure anyway. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Its not that big a deal. Just follow the directions, also there is plenty of info if you google for it. Are you sure you don't have the old freon system. I don't remember the cutoff year for freon. But if you have the old system you will need to change the fittings on both hoses to fit the new style. Also if you suspect a leak you can get Ru143 with a green dye that when it leaks makes it easier to find it.

Reply to
evodawg

Thanks for replying. Yes, it is charged with R135A. It says so on the sticker on the firewall.

Reply to
willshak
Reply to
Telstar Electronics