Anyone install a keyless alarm system in a 940?

I want the feature of unlocking my car from a key fob and was wondering if anyone has installed one themself? From what I've seen they look pretty modular.

Reply to
Don B.

I installed keyless entry in my 94 940.

I'll send you the details.

Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

Could send the details to the group?

I'm doing eveything I can to reduce the 40-50 spam emails I get a day. The address that coomes up on these posts is nonfuctioning.

Thanks Don B.

Reply to
Don B.

"Don B." skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

Hi Volvo part no. 9204074, is the Volvo Guard Alarm II. This is an alarm ,immobilizer and a remote door lock. It comes with two remotes and a glass cross sensor. Very simple you plug in the relais, code the remotes and thats it. Regards Per

Reply to
Per Rasmussen

Per What country does that number come from? My parts guy here in Florida can't even find that number in his catalog or Volvo's online parts list.

Thanks Don

Reply to
Don B.

My 94 940s are factory pre-wired for keyless entry and alarms. Wiring diagram sent separately.

The first thing you need is a lock motor. (see SWITCHnMOTOR.JPG) The one with the blue wire sheath is the motor.

The second is a Keyless entry controller. I bought one on eBay for $25. Next time I?ll spend $45 and get better security codes.

The third is .187? wide Quick Disconnect pins from Radio Shack # 64-3132 They are a tight fit but you can use them in the plugs below.

Under the dash there are two plugs taped to a harness to the left of the steering column. D3 has 4 pins ? D2 has 8 pins

D3 Pin-1 Red Wire .. +12v from fuse 2

D3 Pin-2 Green/Red .. +12v from fuse 5

D3 Pin-3 Blu/Red .. +12v from fuse 9 with Ignition sw in RUN position

D3 Pin-4 Black .. -12v (GROUND)

D4 Pin-1 Green ... Left Turn Signal

D4 Pin-2 Blu/Green ... Right Turn Signal

D4 Pin-3 Brown/Black ... Ground when any door is open

D4 Pin-4 Yellow/Black ... Lock (ground to lock)

D4 Pin-5 Green/Black ... Unlock (ground to unlock)

D4 Pin-7 Brown/pink ? To pin-2 of plug D4 Under hood left side

D4 Pin-8 Greenn/White ? To pin-1 of plug D4 Under hood left side

I assume 7 & 8 are for a siren

D4 Pin-6 Brown/Orange ? Ground from Station Wagon Hatch

I used D3 1 & 4 for power and ground

And D2 4 & 5 to operate the locks.

PROCEDURE

  1. Make sure you have the radio code

  1. Disconnect the battery

  2. Remove panels under the Dash

  1. Find the plugs. They were taped together with masking tape next to the steering column above a harness. (See pictures)

  2. Connect to the plugs

  1. Route the antenna wire ( I ran it up to the dash at the A post)

  2. Plug in, connect the battery and test

Note! If you have not put the new lock motor in yet the remote will only be able to do the opposite of where the drivers lock is.

Exchange the switch on the drivers door lock for a lock motor.

They look and mount the same. The motor plugs into a two conductor plug instead of the three conductor one the switch plugs into. The best way to do this is;

Go to a U-Pick junk yard for a couple lock motors and practice in a junker. I think the lock motors were used for several years in 740s and 940s.

  1. With the window UP, take off the door pad. (If you don?t know how let me know.)

  1. Take off the latch. (On the end of the door. Two big torque screws.)`

  2. Note the short screw under the latch. Leave it in for now.

  1. Remove the two screws below the latch. They hold the plastic window channel.

  2. Find and remove the other window channel screw. It is a sheet metal screw near the windowsill. See the picture of the channel. It is at the top.

  1. Reach inside the door and pull the channel down and let it lay in the bottom of the door.

  2. Unplug the switch and cut the tie-wrap on the wire. The motor plug is taped up about 3? away.

  1. Reach inside the door and disconnect the levers from the lock assembly.

1 from the key 1 from the exterior handle and one from the interior handle

  1. Remove the small screw that you noted under the latch. The lock assembly will now come out.

  2. Swap the switch and motor.

  1. Put the lock assembly back in. Use the little screw under the latch to hold it in place

  2. Plug in the motor

  1. Put the door back together.

Sorry I couldn't attach the photos. Email me if you want them Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

"Don B." skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com...

Hi Don I'm from Denmark. This number is printed on the box, and on the invoice. It might be a special kit for european cars, and I was told this set is for

740/940/850 models. Hope You'll find something you can use for your car.

Regards Per

Reply to
Per Rasmussen

.>> >> I want the feature of unlocking my car from a key fob and was wondering

Thanks Per It seems the kit is not available in the US. It looks as if I'm going to have to go with aftermarket.

Don

Reply to
Don B.

Al I would appreciate the photos.

It bugs me that the car is prewired for the system But my local dealer says the parts aren't listed in the catalog. Or at least he doesn't know what collection of parts would constitute everything I would need to simply plug in for the keyless ability...

I appreciate your help.

Don snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com

Reply to
Don B.