Auxiliary drivebelt woes on '93 854

How long should I expect the auxiliary drivebelt to last on a '93 854?

I ask because my garage has just changed it after only 11K miles / 9 months since the last new one was fitted.

Seems a bit short to me that! Wondering if there's a parts warranty I can invoke.

On a secondary note, it was put on in an attempt to cure a god-awful rattling / squealing noise coming from the cambelt / auxiliary drivebelt area of the engine when cold (ie, first thing in the morning). Later on in the day, the noise tending to go away (though not always).

With the new belt fitted, the squealing has gone (for the time being), but not the rattling when cold.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I'm not too concerned about the noise itself, but more worried that it might be a sign of an imminent failure of something!

Reply to
Stuart Cormie

The life of the belt depends on its quality, and its working conditions. If there is a bearing problem or pulley alignment problem, then the life of even the best belt may end in minutes. When the belt is off, spin each accessory by hand (including the tensioner bearing) to see if you can determine the source of the noise. It's safe to say the noise will get worse, and eventually something will fail. If everything turned by the auxiliary belt is OK, then maybe it's something turned by the timing belt. If that's the case and it fails, then you're looking at major engine repair$.

Reply to
Mike F