406 2.1 auxiliary belt probelm

The auxiliary belt on my 406 2.1D shredded last week and so I fitted a new one only to find that it has also shredded in the same way this morning (after about 100 miles)

I discovered this only because I popped the bonnet after the engine suddenly became really noisey. I've spoken to a mechanic mate who tells me that this is a common fault on this engine as the noise is diesel knock caused by the shredding belt coming into contact with the cam belt and upsetting the pump timing.

However, this sounds a bit far fetched to me as the cam belt is underneath all kinds of covers. However, I have no idea with this engine so has anyone ever come across anything similar happening before?

Reply to
Berko

See my new post and question, Rob

Reply to