Remove the fuel pump on a 1995 VR6

I have already removed the large nut/ring from the top of the pump and I was even able to remove the upper assembly. This is the assembly that has the float arm attached to it. When I attempt to remove the pump from the bottom of the tank it just holds tight. I have the Bentley manual and I am following those directions. The manual says to turn the pump to the left on the Bayonet connector and remove. I can get the pump to turn a little back and forth but it definitely will not come out!

Can someone please let me know if there is some kind of trick or expalain how this pump is secured to the tank? Thanks!

Background:

The car is a 1995 Passat GLX VR6 Sedan with 150,000 miles on the odometer. I was driving down the freeway in about 5F outside temp. The engine suddenly began to hesitate and within about 10 seconds had completely stopped. Of course I had the car towed into my garage at home. I briefly believed that the gas line had frozen until I learned how rare that it is. Now I have completed the checks in the Bentley manual and determined that the fuel pump motor has simply died. I have been able to exclude the fuel pump relay and the fuse as being the cause.

Reply to
Mark

No tricks, but if the fuel and tank are cold it may be a bit harder to release the pump.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The air temperature in the garage was about 50F while I was working but I suppose the car and fuel may still have been around 40F. Can you say why you believe the pump could be hard to release at low temperatures? Is there some close-fitting latch mechanism? I just ordered the new fuel pump, Pierburg E3000-55290. I noticed there is a model year split and mine is the earlier model. However the same pump part number is specified regardless of whether I choose the late model or early model option on the Overnight Auto Parts website. I hope this pump works!

Woodchuck wrote:

Bentley

Reply to
Mark

It's all made out of plastic and plastic doesn't like to flex when things are cold.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I still cannot get this pump out! I have the flange nut off and the assembly with the float off (obviously the black supply and return lines have been removed from this assembly).

I am staring into the tank at the fuel pump and it appears a little different to me from the pump that I purchased. The one in the tank appears to have an assembly within an assembly with some rubber bumpers between them. Is this an anti-vibration mount that is used to quiet the pump? Does this entire plastic assembly come out or only the inner plastic assembly? Are there some steel pieces at the bottom of the tank that hold onto the bottom of the pump by the screen? Does the outer plastic assembly that I can see somehow hold the pump in place? How hard can I pull or twist without breaking something? Someone please help or I will have to have the car towed (as my wife suggested) and admit I have failed at this job! I am so close! (for now, it is a balmy 60F in my garage due to a warm front hitting Wisconsin)

thanks!

Reply to
Mark

The entire whitish plastic assembly comes out all together. I usually just put my hand way down there and turn counterclockwise about 10 degrees to release the pump assembly.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks Woodchuck!

I did get the fuel pump shortly after reading your last post. It did take a few more tries, but eventually during one attempt when I was only half-trying it popped right out. I think the problem was that there is a slight step in the ramp between the two plastic parts (to lock the pump in place of course). I was probably pulling and turning at the same time which just made it hold on tighter. You definitely have to put your hand right in the tank and twist on the bottom and make sure to turn only without pulling. After the pump turns ( I think it is closer to 20 degrees) then it easily lifts out.

I chose the Pierburg pump and I was worried at first that it might be loud because it does not look like the > The entire whitish plastic assembly comes out all together. I usually just

suggested)

Reply to
Mark

Good job, now you know what we go through at times!

Reply to
Woodchuck