Brake fluid light 740 GL

1988 740 GL Brake fluid light on the dash is lit when the engine is running. I have checked for brake fluid leaks also the brake fluid level which are both O.K. The only other thing I can think to cause the problem is there must be a pressure switch somewhere on the brake fluid system or its a faulty relay. Any advise on what action to follow.

Les

Reply to
les.watson

Check the float is working properly. It's in the reservoir cap. mebbe the float is sinking or the wiring has gone bad. should be two wires on the cap top.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

No wires on res cap on my model. No wires anywhere near res cap.

Reply to
les.watson

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is les.watson:

Then you don't have a brake fluid warning light.

My '87 GLE has no such light. It has a brake circuit failure light, a parking brake light, and (if I had ABS) an ABS malfunction light, but none for brake fluid level (some 740s did).

If you are certain the light you are seeing is brake related, then whatever it is needs investigating. It's possible one of the two brake circuits has failed (usually a failing master cylinder), but I would expect to feel a softer brake pedal with this. There is not necessarily a leak with this, though sometimes brake fluid can soak the carpets around the pedal.

Just to clarify, the order of lights on my dash (taken from the handbook - not all are relevant) from the extreme left is:

  1. Diesel glow plug
  2. Blank
  3. ABS malfunction
  4. Lights
  5. Turbo-diesel high boost
  6. Engine oil pressure
  7. Battery charge
  8. Overdrive engaged Milage reset button
  9. Headlight main beam
  10. Brake circuit failure
  11. Parking brake
  12. Bulb failure
  13. Screen wash fluid level
  14. 4th Speed disengage
  15. Seat belts
  16. Blank
Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

If the pedal has become soft I would suspect the master cylinder. There are two brake circuits and if they don't have equal pressure the brake failure light will come on. The brake failure/pressure difference valve could be bad.

I had my light come on and was able to fix it by just bleeding the brakes. YMMV

Brick_0

Reply to
Brick_0