Master Cylinder "Fluid Level Low"

I have a 2005 Escape Hybrid AWD, purchased in November of 2004.

The brake light came on about a month ago, along with a message that the brake fluid level was low. It was a little low, about mid way between marks. I added some, but the light didn't go out.

I took it to the dealer, who said the brakes needed to be replaced (116,000 miles). I had front and rear done.

Today, I took it in for the 120,000 mile service, and the tech noted that the brake fluid level message was on, which I hadn't seen since the brake job.

"Retrieved code c1327 indicating brake fluid low. Performed pin point test L1-L3, pinpoint L3 checked resistance at the brake fluid switch c124 tn-lg and vt-ye. The resistance is greater than 1200 ohms (actual is at 4.5 Mega ohms) out of spec. Rec replacing the master cylinder."

$757 for a master cylinder because the fluid level switch is embedded. It only has two wires. If I disconnect the switch, or short out the pins, could I eliminate this error message? I would even wire in a 1200 ohm resistor, if that would make the computer happy. I can check the fluid level like I have on other cars without a sensor.

I see lots of web complaints about this sensor in other Fords, where it is replaceable separate from the master cylinder.

Reply to
dold

I'm getting closer I found a diagram of the switch.

Switch c124 has --- 1.2K -+- 1.5 K -+- 1.5K -+-- | -- x -- | -- x -- | What that ASCII art is supposed to suggest is that there is always 1.2K in the circuit. And two 1.5K resistors that might be bypassed by switches.

0 ohms == bad 1.2 K == both switches closed 2.7 K == one closed, one open 4.2 K == both open infinite == bad

I don't have the test procedure, so I don't know which level is desired.

Reply to
dold

I printed-to-PDF the Pinpoint Test G for a 2002 Escape (from my shop CD), and emailed it to your address above. If that is not a valid one, let me know and we can do it some other way. It's a 21 page procedure, but the entire file is only 93K.

Reply to
SC Tom

Thanks for that. This is a "protected" address that only accepts mail with a subject that matches the Usenet article. I sent you my normal email address.

I had pondered buying the proper manual on DVD, but over $100 seems a bit steep. I have printed manuals for my other vehicles, but I think the most expensive was $75.

Reply to
dold

That's not my real one, either ;-) I'd just as soon not post it on usenet, nor would I want anyone else to. I tried again to your posted email here and used the same subject line as here (minus the RE: ). Will that maybe work?

Reply to
SC Tom

That worked for me, but I don't see yours... How about dold at rahul dot net ?

Reply to
dold

Unfortunately, now that I have that, I see that the 2002 is a simple open/closed switch. The test is "less than 5 ohms" and "more than 10,000 ohms" as the fluid level is triggered.

Mine is not that way.

Reply to
dold

The service writer printed the relevant troubleshooting pages. It does not speak of the resistance readings, just a diagnostic routine that doesn't match the true results of an open circuit.

I know there are only a few possible values, made up of three resistors.

Reply to
dold

Radio Shack didn't have a 1.2K ohm resistor, but I bought a pack of five

1.5K for $1.19. Shoved one of those into the connector. No messages, no warning lights.

Now, I have to pay myself $1 every time I remember to check the brake fluid level.

Reply to
dold

And after checking it 757 times, you'll have saved up enough for that new master cylinder :-)

Glad it worked for you. I guess that light (and some others) are for the people who have absolutely no idea how to maintain a vehicle. I would go your route also if I had a similar instance. I already know when and how to check my brake fluid and coolant- I certainly don't need a light to tell me.

Reply to
SC Tom

The master cylinder is translucent. All I have to do is lean against the front bumper hard enough to slosh the fluid a little to get visibility.

That's assuming that I ever open the hood, a less frequent event than it was on cars past.

Reply to
dold