406 HDI BRAKE FLUID WARNING MESSAGE DISPLAY

Just to thank the group for the suggestion that changing the hand brake switch may cure the problem of the 'brake fluid warning message' appearing for no apparent reason.

Obviously, I first checked the fluid level itself which was fine. I then presumed a problem with the fluid level switch, disconnected it/shorted it, which again had no effect.

Fortunately, I then looked on the forum, which suggested the hand brake switch change. Like everyone else, I was skeptical and couldnt see the relationship, but for the sake of a ten minute job and =A32.65 from the local Peugeot Dealer I gave it a try....Problem Solved!!!

Prior to changing the switch I had wondered whether the computer was looking at different resistances in the message circuits and somehow the brake switch had developed a high resistance which was triggering the faulty message. On changing the switch, I did indeed measure a high resistance across the switch while in its 'open' condition which seems to go along with my presumption of how the computer reads its message circuits.

By the way, when I went to purchase the switch and explained why I was replacing it, the dealer went to great lengths to explain I was changing the 'wrong' switch.Fortunately this advise was ignored...........THANKS AGAIN TO THE GROUP

Reply to
dspark

By the way, when I went to purchase the switch and explained why I was replacing it, the dealer went to great lengths to explain I was changing the 'wrong' switch.Fortunately this advise was ignored...........THANKS AGAIN TO THE GROUP

Did the dealer go into detail? which switch did he/she say you should be changing?

Rob

Reply to
Rob Beech

Hi Rob. No he didnt go into any detail, but could only say that as far as he was concerned, the hand brake switch had nothing to do with the low brake fluid level warning. He suggested changing the brake fluid resavoir switch, which I had allready tested and knew to be OK.

Reply to
dspark

Good dealer you have there! It is a very well known fault and every dealer should know about it.

Reply to
nigel

But why does it matter to a dealer, standard procedure these days seems to be change everything in sight until fault goes away, after all, it's the punter who pays, and there is profit to be made on every part. Fortunately, not ALL dealers are like this, you just have to look carefully.

Reply to
Brian

Hiya Dspark. Mine has this problem, I'd already figured it was something to do with the handbrake switch as only ever does it with the handbrake on and the levels are fine. (After initialy checking them two or three times.) Is it a big job getting to the switch to swap it? Where abouts is it located?

regards. djimbo.

Reply to
djimbo

It's under the centre console at the base of the handbrake lever. Bit of a palaver to get to but not too bad and should take no more than half an hour.

Reply to
nigel

Many thanks.

djimbo.