Bushings: 200k

My `84 240 DL wagon just hit 200k. I keep the shock absorbers somewhat up to date, but with 200k on the bushings, its still a less than elegant ride.

Looking underneath at the suspension, I see very few easy ways to replace the bushings. It looks like a helluva lot of work, a helluva lot of pulling things apart.

Can someone please comment on the difficulty of replacing the bushings? How much work did it take you?

Also, what do you recommend for replacements? I dont mind spending an extra $50 for really good bushings, I hope to have this car to at least

300k some day.

Thanks Myren

Reply to
myren, lord

Myren:

I am at 293k on an '84 240 and I haven't touched the control arm bushings although I replaced the stabilizer link bushings when I went to the IPD anti-sway bars. I also had the upper strut mounts replaced recently although you can do them yourself with spring compressors and a thorough reading of your favorite manual. Bentley is a good opener. As for the rear end, I've upgraded the torque/reaction rod bushings to IPD polyurethane. I use an identically-sized socket and a 6-ton shop press (from Harbor Freight or anywhere else) to drive out the bushing and press in the new one. There are four. If they are stubborn, you may have to cut the bushing from the inside out to the rod.

The rear trailing arm bushings are quite formidable. IPD sells a tool set to remove and instlall them or you might make one yourself by way of this link I found:

There are other bushings too but those are the ones I know. I've never heard of replacing the front trainling arm bushings or the panhard rod bushings but I suppose they go too and could be serviced the same way as the torque rod bushings. YMMV! ;_)

NickZ

myren, lord wrote:

Reply to
Nick Zervas