240 Worth It? Opinions Wanted!

Okay, here's a question for you, just for your gut feelings, as I know you haven't seen the car.

If you had a chance to buy a well running 1993 240 wagon with perfect leather seats, cruise control, good cold AC, perfect body, one owner, all service records BUT nearly 190,000 on it, would you think it worth $2500? I'd really like some opinions on this.

Thanks! Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

Patricia!

Where is this wagon? $2500? I'll buy it!! :-) would be a twin for our "93, which we wouldn't part with at any price (almost..... ) after eleven years.and 220 000 Km.

Happy Motoring! Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

Maybe.

I assume you want a wagon more than a sedan.

If well serviced and not abused, the 240 engine will handle 300,000 miles, or more. Likewise the automatice transmission. So, pay close attention to the service records to make sure all of the scheduled maintenance was done. Actual receipts showing the replaced wear and tear parts are needed to see the details, since the owner's scheduled maintenance manual is usually only date-stamped by the dealership at time of servicing. Frequent oil changes are the bare minimum. Find out the last time the timing belt was changed (due every 60,000 miles), as well as other belts and hoses. Probably, the air mass meter (AMM) has been replaced once, maybe twice. Find out how many miles ago, since this can be an expensive part ($300 - 600 with minor labor, depending on mechanic's markup). It's an electronic part of the fuel system. When failing, it may reduce engine performance. May even cause stalling and rough running. Also look at records for last time the AC Compressor was replaced. Depending on usage and region, these tend to last from 7 - 11 years, so this one may be due. Replacement with labor, including a new drier cannister and refrigerant is around $1,000.

If you are in a harsh winter region, inspect underside closely for weather damage. The 240 is pretty well weather sealed, but not indestructible.

When driving, check the steering for even-ness - no pulling either right or left. Check that there is not excessive play (when you rotate steering wheel left or right, tires should immediately respond). When braking, check that the car does not drift left or right. Try a slow easy braking, medium braking, and hard braking. Listen for clunks and rattles during braking, indicating worn suspension or loose braking system components.

None of the braking system, steering system, or suspension system parts are very expensive, though can add up if several items are needed. Check the records for date of last brake pads, brake system master cylinder, shock absorbers and struts, ball joints and bushings. If none of this has been done in the last 4 years, this is an indication that the owner has probably stopped keeping good care.

If you don't have detailed dates, but the car passes your own test drive, I would strongly recommend a mechanic's inspection before you purchase. This costs around $70, and will give you a detailed report of the car's overall condition, plus a list of parts due for repair/replacement, along with cost estimates.

If all the wear and tear items are replaced on schedule and never wrecked, then this car is easily worth $2,500.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

Buy it. Have a reputable indepentant Volvo mechanic take a look at it first. If there are no major mechanical issues present. You'll be fine.

Reply to
PA ND FAN

Hell yeah! In a heartbeat! You've just described *THE* dream car. There are a couple of things that I would automatically do, right after buying it, that would put the total cost at about $4, depending on what the previous owner did with the suspension and a couple of other things, that I would do to any Volvo. I'd still call it an ok bargain.

Reply to
james

Thanks very much to everyone who responded. I just bought it, for $2250. It was Item #2488085548 on eBay if anyone wants to check it out while the photos are still up. I'm off to Massachussetts this weekend to pick it up. Wish me luck. I'll give you a full report!

Thanks again,

Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

Had you mentioned that it was on eBay, my advice would have been to avoid it at ANY price.

LH

Reply to
Larry_Horse

Hi Larry,

You said it! Me too!

Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

Why? I've purchased several cars though eBay without problem. eBay also offers many protections not available with direct purchase from individuals or even dealers. Why would you have avoided it? Did you look at the car (the listing I mean, obviously you didn't look at the car!). Why the bad feelings about eBay?

Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

| >Hi Larry, | >

| >You said it! Me too! | >

| >Andy I. | >

First, I would not buy such an old, high-mileage car without driving it and looking it over--that's just good sense (the term "buying a pig in a poke" comes to mind). An eBay seller will present the car in the best light possible--he wants to sell it to someone--and anyone will do. Second, for every good "I bought it on eBay and I'm tickled pink" story, there are an equal number of bad ones of people being not quite so tickled.

LH

Reply to
Larry_Horse

A perfectly valid point. And here's an example. In this article, posted on June 3, 2004, , the protagonist of this thread purchased a 1992 240 via eBay, and appeared satisfied with the purchase (although the car had not been inspected).

Barely a month later, after picking the car up, at least one problem was discovered with the car, as indicated in this post on July 20, 2004.

Purchasing cars, sight unseen, through eBay may not be the wisest thing to do. Caveat emptor.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Have you ever used eBay? I mean I understand what you're saying, but you do sound like someone who's not really familiar with eBay and the protections they offer. The dealer I bought the car from is an eBay "Square Deal" member, which affords certain protections and guarantees above and beyond what eBay already offers. If something is misrepresented, I do have several avenues of recourse through eBay. Again, did you look at the listing? Perhaps that would address some of your concerns.

Thanks, Patricia

Reply to
PButler111

| >LH | | Have you ever used eBay? I mean I understand what you're saying, but you do | sound like someone who's not really familiar with eBay and the protections they | offer. The dealer I bought the car from is an eBay "Square Deal" member, which | affords certain protections and guarantees above and beyond what eBay already | offers. If something is misrepresented, I do have several avenues of recourse | through eBay. Again, did you look at the listing? Perhaps that would address | some of your concerns. | | Thanks, | Patricia |

I am familiar with eBay and have used it since its inception. There have been many "Square Dealers" who have been "NARU'ed" by eBay, that is, they've had their accounts suspended for less than honorable dealings. Ultimately, eBay's protections and guarantees are of little value and serve only to encourage buyers to buy, thereby putting money in eBay's coffers. Everyone on eBay is selling something, especially eBay. I would echo Bev A. Kupf's advice, buyer beware.

LH

Reply to
Larry_Horse

Which is not to say that all sellers on eBay are disreputable. A local Volvo dealership sells some of their trade-ins on eBay. I would probably deal with them online, but have the comfort of knowing who they are, and inspecting the vehicle before placing a bid.

But I would not purchase a car from anyone who buys them at auction and then sells them on eBay - I'm told that's how most of the smaller "auto-dealers" on eBay operate. Their margins are small, and the less that's said about their inspection programs, the better.

It isn't too difficult to make an AC "blow cold" for a few weeks :-)

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Buy now before I do.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Thanks -- I did!

;-)

Reply to
PButler111

My last Volvo was nearly identical with 230K on it - all highway miles. It was a superb car, but since it wasn't a wagon, it eventually was sold. Finding a mint condition 1993 240 wagon with black leather and stick is really hard, even here in California.

But I keep looking :)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I just donated my 86 240 with over 200k running perfect and am sick because I kept my 92 940 just as good with over 200k. In California. Both are excellent cars. However the blue book on the 86 is around 1500 to 2000. 2500 for a 93 looks good.

Reply to
dan

When my friends in Northern CA were looking to replace their 1983 240 wagon (manual transmission) with a newer 240 wagon, they actually hired a search firm to find the perfect one for them. They ended up with a nice one (of course), a

1992.
Reply to
PButler111

"Pat Quadlander" wrote in news:Lx4Xc.44094$9d6.13624@attbi_s54:

Probably, the air mass meter (AMM) has

I have a 1989 240 wagon. Everything that you mentioned has been done to my car except it still has the original AMM, original air con compressor, and the original brake system master unless they were replaced before I bought it in 1995 with 60,000 miles. It also has the original fuel pump and alternator. The water pump was changed out twice - once after a sudden failure and once last month because I didn't want one to fail suddenly again. The care currently has 183,000 miles on the odometer.

David "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved"

Reply to
David L. Hanson