C70 brakes question

I was told by my local Volvo dealer that for a 1999 C70 brake job, that you cannot turn the rotors because they were designed to a minimum thickness from the manufacturer. I have never heard of this before and thought that you can get about 2 turns from a rotor. So if that's the case and you have some warped rotors then you would have to buy new rotors. This is insane.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks Andy

99 C70 HT
Reply to
A Thomas

It's not "insane", it's the way it is......

Best way to prevent warped rotors is to buy cross-drilled slotted rotors.....they don't warp.....

FER

"A Thomas" wrote in message news:40285645$1 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com... | I was told by my local Volvo dealer that for a 1999 C70 brake job, that | you cannot turn the rotors because they were designed to a minimum | thickness from the manufacturer. I have never heard of this before and | thought that you can get about 2 turns from a rotor. So if that's the | case and you have some warped rotors then you would have to buy new | rotors. This is insane. | | Anyone know anything about this? | | Thanks | Andy | 99 C70 HT | | | |

Reply to
Proconsul

Reply to
R Weinberger

The front disc (rotor) thickness is 26mm when new. The minimum permissible thickness is 23mm. That provides *some* scope for skimming - but not a lot if they are already worn.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

I agree with this.

Something else I like to do- when stopping at a traffic light, I like to roll forward after a couple seconds. This way, the pads aren't clamping down on the same part of the brake rotor the whole time, and trapping heat there. It probably doesn't matter unless the brakes are really hot, but a good habit nonetheless.

Another thing to avoid- driving through deep puddles with hot brakes. Not sure if this is an old wives' tale, but also a good habit.

Best of all- pay attention to traffic and let off the gas pedal a bit earlier. Sometimes you can't avoid a panic stop, but you can avoid a lot of brake-gas-brake-gas-brake-gas :)

Reply to
Jim Carriere

Reply to
Edward Hayes