Stratus brakes sticking

98 Stratus, 100k. Intermittently, one or the other front brake sticks to the point of overheating. Fine when they cool off. Can go 500 miles no problem, then one will stick. Can it be something other than each caliper is bad? Thanks for any ideas.
Reply to
Michael Carroll

|98 Stratus, 100k. Intermittently, one or the other front brake sticks |to the point of overheating. Fine when they cool off. Can go 500 |miles no problem, then one will stick. Can it be something other than |each caliper is bad?

Piston skirts for the caliper pads need to be lubed. You can do this yourself if you can take the pads out of the calipers.

|Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

|On 5 Mar 2004 16:34:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (Michael |Carroll) wrote: | ||98 Stratus, 100k. Intermittently, one or the other front brake sticks ||to the point of overheating. Fine when they cool off. Can go 500 ||miles no problem, then one will stick. Can it be something other than ||each caliper is bad? | |Piston skirts for the caliper pads need to be lubed. You can do this |yourself if you can take the pads out of the calipers.

Do this with special grease that doesn't run/deteriorate with HEAT. Go to your brake shop and get some. They will probably give you a lifetime supply for free.

I watched the guy do -my- brakes, so I know this is most likely the problem. Other than that, you can read up on how disc brakes work. But this is the answer. You might have to have the caliper pistons fitted with a rebuild kit if they are shot too badly.

Lg

| ||Thanks for any ideas.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I would be surprised if a brake shop would give you a life time supply of high temp silicone grease. That's what you'd need if you needed to grease something on your brakes. I haven't heard of lubricating piston skirts... The piston seals are only to keep dust and other foreign objects from getting in the caliper and scoring the bore.

To the OP, if your calipers are sticking, it's fairly simple to rebuild the caliper. Normally just a seal in the caliper that needs replacing unless the bore or the caliper has been damaged. I wouldn't used high temp silicone grease in the caliper bore, as that would contaminate the brake fluid. I'd just use clean brake fluid when you're rebuilding.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

|> Do this with special grease that doesn't run/deteriorate with HEAT. |> Go to your brake shop and get some. They will probably give you a |> lifetime supply for free. |>

|> I watched the guy do -my- brakes, so I know this is most likely the |> problem. Other than that, you can read up on how disc brakes work. |> But this is the answer. You might have to have the caliper pistons |> fitted with a rebuild kit if they are shot too badly. |>

|> Lg |>

| |I would be surprised if a brake shop would give you a life time supply of |high temp silicone grease.

Yah maybe they would charge you a few bucks. Some piggy bank change. Or give you the name of a place where you can buy your own ( Auto Zone? )

| That's what you'd need if you needed to grease |something on your brakes. I haven't heard of lubricating piston skirts... |The piston seals are only to keep dust and other foreign objects from |getting in the caliper and scoring the bore.

They can get filled up with Road Crud. And the rubber skirt helps pull the piston back from the pads. If there is Road Crud in there, that might be part of the problem.

The pads only have to come off the rotor a few thousandths of an inch. That's enough. That's the way disc brakes *work.*

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

That's very revealing.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

Thanks....

It's been months since coffee shot out of my nose.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Cheers.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

|> > That's very revealing. |>

|> Thanks.... |>

|> It's been months since coffee shot out of my nose. | |Cheers. |

Yah, I've seen this same kind of horse shit in alt.rec.girlscouts. I've done my own brakes -before-. I find it not worth the money to do it myself anymore, and bring it to a brake shop.

There are a lot of things that aren't worth doing yourself. And there are some things that can't wait, especially if you are a 1-car owner, and don't have something else to drive around with for parts, work, and whatever.

So Big Low, give yourself an enema with Neil's coffee. You might come to find out you both like the same things.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

It's not worth the money because... why? I can do my brakes faster than the typical brake monkey can and know that I did them correctly. Brakes are one of the easiest things one can do when they're a one car owner and don't have a spare car to drive. Your point is not valid.

Why exactly are you perusing a girlscout newsgroup? There isn't any alt.rec.*** newsgroups anyhow.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

More is revealed...

Coming from someone who believes that the external dust boot on a caliper retracts the piston, that is indeed a blessing.

Hmmm... one car owner, brake job that takes hours, okay to wait for, oil change that takes minutes, not okay to wait for. Now I understand.

How childish.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

| |> Yah, I've seen this same kind of horse shit in alt.rec.girlscouts. |> I've done my own brakes -before-. I find it not worth the money to do |> it myself anymore, and bring it to a brake shop. |>

|> There are a lot of things that aren't worth doing yourself. And there |> are some things that can't wait, especially if you are a 1-car owner, |> and don't have something else to drive around with for parts, work, |> and whatever. |>

|> So Big Low, give yourself an enema with Neil's coffee. You might come |> to find out you both like the same things. |>

|> Lg |>

| |It's not worth the money because... why?

If there is something wrong with the rotors, I don't have a machine to turn them with. How about _that_ for a beginning. Hummm? You do? Yah? I doubt it.

| I can do my brakes faster than the |typical brake monkey can and know that I did them correctly. Brakes are one |of the easiest things one can do when they're a one car owner and don't have |a spare car to drive. Your point is not valid.

I'm not trying to sell you anything, idiot. I am speaking for myself, not everybody on the Planet.

You know, I bet there is something you pay somebody else to do, that I can do in a jiffy, because I have the proper tools and you don't. Or the experience and you don't. I bet.

|Why exactly are you perusing a girlscout newsgroup? There isn't any |alt.rec.*** newsgroups anyhow.

You noticed. That's a Plus.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Helps retract the piston. In fact, the piston -does- need to be retracted. Or do you drive around with the brakes applied all the time. That would explain everything. Neil's left foot is on the brake, his right foot is on the accelerator, and he is wondering why he isn't going anywhere.

MORE IS REVEALED.

| |> There are a lot of things that aren't worth doing yourself. And there |> are some things that can't wait, especially if you are a 1-car owner, |> and don't have something else to drive around with for parts, work, |> and whatever. | |Hmmm... one car owner, brake job that takes hours, okay to wait |for, oil change that takes minutes, not okay to wait for. |Now I understand. | |> So Big Low, give yourself an enema with Neil's coffee. You might come |> to find out you both like the same things. | |How childish.

If the shoe fits....

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Indeed it does, but that function is not accomplished by the "dust boot." Me thinks Mr. Glickman has his brake components confused.

Since I do not "drive around with my brakes applied all the time," it explains nothing other than that you don't know a dust boot from a seal, where they are positioned in a caliper and their respective functions.

It is?

I am?

Your vivid imagination.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

|Indeed it does, but that function is not accomplished by the |"dust boot." |Me thinks Mr. Glickman has his brake components confused.

I am going to find out about this soon enough. The pads on my new/used car need to be looked at. If they need replacement, I have a problem, because the r.f. rotor is worn deeply in one area.

I think that *normal wear & tear* is not covered by dealer warranty, so I will be looking a this myself when weather improves. Then I will know more about it.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

You're going to "find out about this soon enough?"

In other words, you really don't have a clue about what components do what, where they are or what they even look like.

Why on god's green earth would you be offering repair advice when you don't have the slightest clue about what you're syaing? Especially about something as critical as brakes?

I feel sorry for those who have to share the road with you.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

No.... you won't, you'll push the pistons back, install new pads and still not have a clue what retracts the pistons. No it isn't the dust boot, that does just what the name implies, no more, no less. Five minutes of research would answer that question for you but you'd rather waste your time by babbling on about something you know nothing about. Bob

Reply to
Bob

|In article , | Lawrence Glickman wrote: | |> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:26:22 GMT, Neil Nelson |> wrote: |> |> |Indeed it does, but that function is not accomplished by the |> |"dust boot." |> |Me thinks Mr. Glickman has his brake components confused. |> |> I am going to find out about this soon enough. |> The pads on my new/used car need to be looked at. If they need |> replacement, I have a problem, because the r.f. rotor is worn deeply |> in one area. | |You're going to "find out about this soon enough?" | |In other words, you really don't have a clue about what |components do what, where they are or what they even look like. | |Why on god's green earth would you be offering repair advice when |you don't have the slightest clue about what you're syaing? |Especially about something as critical as brakes? | | |> I think that *normal wear & tear* is not covered by dealer warranty, |> so I will be looking a this myself when weather improves. Then I will |> know more about it. | |I feel sorry for those who have to share the road with you.

That would be the 99.999999999999% of people who know less about it than I do.

Go away.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Your keyboard is stuck, that figure should be more like .9% oh clueless one. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I never called you names. I don't see why you have to attack my character. You said there are a lot of things that aren't worth doing yourself. I find brakes to be one of the easiest things to do yourself and therefore it would seem that practically everything wouldn't be worth doing yourself.

I wasn't looking to buy anything from you anyhow, much less infer that I wanted to buy anything from you. I *was* infering that letting someone else do your brakes, if you knew how, because it's easier would be waste of time and money than doing them yourself.

Let's see. $26 for a new rotor and $10 to turn the rotor (that is if you took it off and brought it to a machine shop). If you bring it to a brake shop, they'll machine your rotor whether it needs it or not. Why? Because it decreases the likelihood that you'll come back complaining that the brakes aren't working right. Hmm.. instantaneous loss of rotor thickness which increases the likelihood that your rotor will warp.

I didn't believe your first post to be accurate and you're taking it as a personal attack. Lighten up. If you think you're right, fine but don't take it so personally.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang