coolant loss

Folks, I have started to lose coolant from my '84 245 DL w/200k+. It's got a relatively new (20K)metal radiator. I've checked the overflow tank cap and can't see any cracks, the oil looks fine with no suds and I can't see any puddles or places where it's leaking. I have not taken it in for a pressure test yet because I prefer to try to fix it myself. It loses about 10 to 15 oz a day or about 20 to 30 miles driven. Any suggestions on what I might be missing? thanks, Bob

Reply to
procobob

With the engine cold, remove the radiator cap and start the car. Watch for bubbles to appear in the coolant, particularly after the thermostat opens. If you see them, it's the head gasket. You may also be able to smell antifreeze in the exhaust.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Is it going in the puke tank then not sucking back when it cools because the cap isn't sealing? If you think it's a head gasket, pull the plugs. the plug in the offending hole will be washed shiny clean.

Reply to
Clay

Look closely at the side of the block below the water pump. It probably just leaks cold and not enough to drip very noticeably on the ground. When they leak very slowly the coolant runs along the oil pan gasket and drips from the bell housing. It self seals when warm and driving evaporates the small amount of coolant as you drive. There will be a crystalline residue on the motor below the pump and perhaps a line of dried coolant on the bottom of the hood from the fine spray coming off the fan blades.

Bob

Reply to
User