Crankcase Oil Pressure

I have oil blowing out the filler cap, the dipstick popped out, etc.

This is my 4th Volvo in 20 years, so I'm somewhat knowledgeable.

I have replaced the flametrap on the 960 a while ago and cleaned up the connecting tubes. I'm at a loss as to what's up. Any ideas?

Reply to
Down to a 960

It sounds like the head gasket has blown, I have seen the same symptoms on a Range Rover Discovery TDI (UK).

I must admit though I have not heard of that on a Volvo.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Rodgers

That's certainly not impossible...although there haven't been any other symptoms.

Reply to
Down to a 960

Then you have crankcase blowby or to put it another way some of your piston rings or cylinder bores are shot. Either that or you did not do a full cleaning job on your PCV system and oil retainer. It is no good just replacing the flame trap, you have to clean all associated pipework as well including brass attachment on inlet manifold.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

What year?

The early 960s were known to have crappy rings. It's not at all impossible that your engine is just plain worn out.

Don't believe me? Try finding a set of Volvo rings :)

I don't know what year the revised rings were first installed (I want to say 94/95), but check the brickboard for more info.

'Course you could have a blown head gasket.. but that's not much of a consolation prize.. given the two piece head that you would need to glue back together.

- alex

'85 244 Turbo '84 245 Turbo

Reply to
Alex Zepeda

I had this same problem, couldn't clear the flame trap apparatus, so I used J&B Weld to attach a large aluminum disc over my oil-filler hole in the cam cover, bought a Mr. Gasket oil filler, and filed a hole in the disc to fit the new oil filler neck. This filller has a filter and vent line, which I ran back the the intake tract, between the airbox and turbo. Basically, recycling the blowby. No more problems in five years.

Forrest

Reply to
mccanlessdesign