Cruise now working

So I got the cruise control working great on the 240. As it turns out, the problem was twofold. First, the clutch was WAY out of adjustment- about 3 times the freeplay it should have had. This caused the pedal to droop disengaging the vac switch and it kept the cruise from ever working. I adjusted the clutch to the wide end of the range (the max free[play as designated by the manual) and it was just a bit off- I figured it out that I could hold the clutch pedal up with my left foot and the cruise worked, and as soon as I let the pedal down it turned the cruise off. After adjusting the clutch i had to adjust the switch by about two turns (the switch is behind the knee bolster, on the driver's side of the clutch pedal's arm). Now all is well.

Ray Lum said, "Ya' live. Ya' learn- then you die and forget it all." As I was rooting around up under the dash on that side I felt around and, "OW! That's Hot!" I pulled out what looked like an American car's flasher for the blinkers. It was too hot to touch, but cooled immediately when disconnected. I looked at the schematic on it... Hmmm... That looks like a ... What would it operate? Ahhh HAAAA! The flash of insight. I turned off eh dome light and the thing cooled off immediately. The dome light? Sure enough! It is a heat operated timer (thermal switch) for the dome light, so that it stays on after the door is closed. Odd way to do that, but there you go.

Now, back to the cruise control. The car had been maintained by an independant shop in the San Francisco Bay Area which only services Volvos, which, by what little I could find out, has a very good reputation. But why, if they had been faithfully servicing this car for as long as they claimed (and the paperwork indicates) would they have left the clutch so far out of adjustment? Hopefully, that's all they neglected. Seems so, as the car is driving quite well and getting good gas mileage. Time will tell.....

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.