Dieselizing a Volvo

Throwing this out as a discussion item, not trolling.....

A while ago on the Discovery Channel (?), there was an item on the two MIT students who ran a diesel VW Westfalian across the US on strained cooking oil. Yes, several technical problems related to starting under regular diesel then flipping to "bio-diesel" and heating the cooking oil to ensure that it's liquid when it hits the engine.

Went across the continental US (NYNY to LALA) on a single tank of fuel, but continuosly smelling of french fries....

Did some web-surfing and saw some more on this topic.

Question for discussion: what's involved in dieselizing a Volvo sedan.

Yes, biggest step will be to find a replacement or used diesel engine in good condition.

What else is needed?

Reply to
Byrocat

This is the site you will need, then:

GC

Reply to
GC

Um buying one is an idea. Volvo made 240, 760, and 850 diesels all of which were brought to North America (noticing that you're .ca)

Volvo used Audi Inline-6 diesels for the 240 and 760s (Turbo Diesels in some of the later 760s) and Audi TDIs in the 850s. Very easy to find parts for them.

May as well find a donor if you want to keep your current vehicle, or just buy one outright and use that.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

It would be better to start with a diesel Volvo in the first place. Then you have to read the book "From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank" by Joshua Tickell, ISBN

0-9707227-0-2. I think it can be ordered from his website which is
Cheers, Peter.

: > A while ago on the Discovery Channel (?), there was an item on the two MIT : > students who ran a diesel VW Westfalian across the US on strained cooking : > oil. Yes, several technical problems related to starting under regular : > diesel then flipping to "bio-diesel" and heating the cooking oil to ensure : > that it's liquid when it hits the engine. : >

: > Went across the continental US (NYNY to LALA) on a single tank of fuel, : but : > continuosly smelling of french fries.... : >

: > Did some web-surfing and saw some more on this topic. : >

: > Question for discussion: what's involved in dieselizing a Volvo sedan. : >

: > Yes, biggest step will be to find a replacement or used diesel engine in : > good condition. : >

: > What else is needed? : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Why don't you just get a Diesel Volvo? Much easier than converting. 240's and 740's were both available as Diesels in the early 80's, they're still out there and generally cheap as people don't want them much. Rebuild the engine and convert it and you should be in business. I've heard of people putting in engines from other types of cars but it's not a trivial project. If you were in Europe you could get more modern Volvos with much better Diesel engines but not over here.

Reply to
James Sweet

When was an 850 Diesel available in NA? I've never seen one, ever.

Reply to
James Sweet

Actually, it's th French fries that smell like volkswagons! ;-) __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hmm, maybe the one I saw was a gray market or engineering sample. I also saw a 780 Diesel manual tranny in the US, but it was certainly never offered here.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

Are you sure it wasn't a custom project? I didn't think 780's were offered in manual anywhere.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Rob Guenther