Engine cleaning - internal

I was told by a friend (don't laugh) that one could clean out the inside of the engine, pistons, oil flow system, etc. by disconnecting all spark plugs, draining the oil, and pouring about a gallon of gasoline into the oil filler spout, and then cranking the engine. he claimed various benefits in doing so, basically more efficiency.

Is this true or BS? I recall a few years ago there was a company called Enginuity that reportedly cleaned the inside of your engine, oil flow system, etc. Any comments? Or should I tell my friend to verify his dosages?

Thanks, Carter

Reply to
carterbear1

B.S !!

Reply to
Tim..

That sounds like a really bad idea, gasoline is not a lubricant and will wash off what lubricant is there. You do not want to turn over an engine without lubricant!

There's some stuff called Seafoam you can put in the oil, in the fuel, and in the air intake with the engine running which is supposed to do a good job of cleaning things out. Haven't tried it myself but have heard good things. If I were to use it, I would do so a few hundred miles before an oil change was planned so that it had some time to do its thing and then the dirty oil and filter would get changed.

A properly maintained engine generally stays pretty clean in the first place though. Keep up on oil changes and change the air and fuel filters on schedule and you should be fine. Spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc should be changed on schedule as well to maintain efficiency, and clean out the crankcase ventilation and throttle body every few years.

Reply to
James Sweet

Well, the explosion would efficiently release a lot of energy. Not to mention releasing chunks of car.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

It's unlikely to explode, you have to have a pretty specific mixture of fuel vapor and air, as well as an ignition source for that to happen.

It's a bad idea for a multitude of other reasons though.

Reply to
James Sweet

A mechanic once told me diesel could be used as a cleaner like that, it is more of a lubricant isn't it?

Sister had a gummed up engine in a 940 from no oil changes on a new (to us) car, eventually after some flushing and oil changes the oil pump gave up, but in the end they just replaced the oil pump.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

My first job was with an independent mechanic (early '60s) and the engine flush protocol was 4 parts 30w and 1 part kerosene. Detergent oil was in the future and the only way to keep engines from being stopped-upped tighter'n than a bull mooses ass (allusion and edict from my boss, Ed H.) was to keep to a 3K oil change plus engine flush routine. Anyone w/ experience with the Ford T'bird 312 engine will appreciate the importance of a 3K/engine cleaning schedule.

Just as a period piece, we also pumped Sinclair gasoline - anyone remember the logo?

Reply to
Lloyd W.

A Dinosaur.........a brontosaurus I think. At some point I remember the Sinclair signs included the words "Dino Gas" along with the picture. Did I just date myself??

You are correct - you are now an official geezer! Congratulations.

Reply to
Lloyd W.

might as well give another clue..........when I started driving, I was buying gasoline for 35 cents a gallon.

We are likely abt the same era - I can't swear to it, BUT I think it was something in the high 20's for Hi-Test and possibly under 20 cents for regular at the local Gulf Station (this was Philadelphia in the early '60s). I remember when gas shot up to almost 50 cents a gallon and station operators wore side arms to keep everybody in line.

Reply to
Lloyd W.
[ ... ]

He forgot to mention that the logo was green.

I've bought gas in the 15-20 cent range, back when in high school.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

You are correct - the dino was a little green cutie. As expected from all gas stations, I'd filler'up, clean your windshield, and check your oil! Ahh, the good old days - is New Jersey the only state that requires an attendant to fill your tank now-a-days?

Reply to
Lloyd W.

Oregon requires attendants, too. I was up there a month or two ago.

Remember the gas wars, when all four stations on a street corner would be dropping the price? Lowest I can remember in town in Northern CA is the low 20's, but in Bakersfield or Fresno I once saw 11 cents! 6th grade, 1964...

Reply to
John von Colditz

I think Oregon also does. P. (:>)

Reply to
Perk

For some reason that annoys me. Whenever I'm down there I tend to fill up in WA before I cross into OR so I don't have to deal with it. Dunno why, I guess it feels kinda like someone wiping my butt for me, it's something I've been doing myself for as long as I've been driving, feels silly to have it done for me.

Reply to
James Sweet

James Sweet explained on 8/20/2009 :

I lived there for 6 years, and really despised the law. It is basically a full-employment for doofuses law, which increases the price of gas. I can see no logical reason for it. For reasons that are unclear, no one has the guts to change it.

Reply to
John von Colditz

Some person told my father to use kerosene to clean out his engine ,it sure did and destroyed it . My father used to rev his engine then shut it off and rev it from cold to warm it up . We never did agree on anything . His engines didn't last long either .

Reply to
jrobertson